Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««2223242526

SQL or Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 1:00 AM
Most of these people have no idea what they are talking about! I have used Oracle 11g and SQL 2005 and 2008 in consecutive jobs over the years and together in the same job. It is quite complex comparing all the different editions and features. I think for small databases SQL Server is probably a better option. However, comparing the enterprise editions of Oracle 11g on Linux and SQL 2008 R2, Oracle is my choice, in terms of DBA features, ease of use and tools (SQL Developer and OEM are better than SSMS). However, if you are going to use SSIS, SSAS or SSRS then you would need to factor in the cost of replacements. I managed a terabyte database on Oracle 11g, it would have been a lot more difficult doing this on SQL Server 2008. I need to spend more time with 2012 before I can comment on its features. In my opinion Windows is also an inferior OS for databases, Linux and Unix win hands down. I prefer Oracle's SQL implementation as well, even though I learnt on transact SQL, and additionally Oracle's documentation is vastly superior, though MS documentation is getting a lot better.
Post #1435843
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««2223242526

Permissions Expand / Collapse