Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

Risky Backups Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:11 AM
This seems to be a holdover from the old days, when servers had local disks, tape drives, and tapes were expensive. And of course, backup tapes were often un-readable. But if Microsoft had removed this 'feature', there would have been howls of protest of how it will break backup jobs
Post #1509843
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:41 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:30 PM
I used to use the maintenance plans but they never removed the files when they aged, I had to script something to do that. Then i found Ola's maintenance plans and used them until we switched to DPM. (ola.hallengren.com)
Post #1509847
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:14 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
There is enough risk in this business if you do things simple and right. To introduce further risk into the mix is not necessary. In the old days the Ancients use to say Kiss = Keep it Simple Stupid. To over complicate this is to Keep it Simply Stupid.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1509856
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:50 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
Miles Neale (10/30/2013)
In the old days the Ancients use to say Kiss = Keep it Simple Stupid.

BWAAA-HAAAAA!!!! Since you're a fellow "Ancient", I strongly suspect you preserve the original meaning, as do I.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1509978
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
From the article:
I know that some people like having the same filename every day as it makes restores simpler, especially if they've scripted things.

I realize this is a 4 year old article but backups are the second most important thing there is in SQL server.

Not to be confused with "simple" and as Granny used to say, "I've found that people that take certain shortcuts frequently get mud in their shoes". If someone takes a "shortcut" on backups, they get what the deserve... failed restores.

So, no... I don't believe that you have a jaded or out of date opinion on this... even 4 years later.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1509980
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse