Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

What do you look for in a Database Audit? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:14 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:16 AM
I am curious to find out what your team does when it comes to database audit?

Here are a list of questions from me:
- Do you check schema only to make sure it conforms to best practice?
- Do you check data against business rules?
- Do you perform any standard check on function and stored procedures?

I would like to hear more on this from this community.

Thanks

Rajib Bahar
http://www.rajib-bahar.com
http://www.twitter.com/rajib2k5
http://www.youtube.com/icsql
Post #625035
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 9:26 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:44 AM

Depends completely on the objectives of the audit
Post #625925
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 9:52 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:49 PM
I agree with Taylor. It depends on what you're doing.

Is this a technical audit? looking for adherence to best practices? Corporate standards? Something else?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #625937
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 10:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:45 PM
rajib (12/23/2008)
I am curious to find out what your team does when it comes to database audit?

Here are a list of questions from me:
- Do you check schema only to make sure it conforms to best practice?
- Do you check data against business rules?
- Do you perform any standard check on function and stored procedures?

I would like to hear more on this from this community.

Thanks

Actually, if you haven't been doing those 3 things all along, you're likely in deep trouble in all 3 areas. ;)

For an "accounting" or SEC audits, you need to have proof that you've been doing all 3 of those all along as well as proving that theres a viable audit trail for changes in the DDL, DML, or the data itself.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #625962
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 10:59 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I love the word "depends". :D

How about we assume that I'm looking for everything (3 things mentioned above as well as other items not listed there)? I am interested in learning what others have done in their projects. That's all.

Rajib Bahar
Post #625970
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 11:25 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:49 PM
It's not that we don't want to answer, but this could be a book's worth of writing. We're asking what the goals of the audit are?

Most auditing is to determine what has happened or what things are changing. You've mentioned a few things that aren't in that area, but are more of a reivew.

What's the purpose of your audit?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #625980
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 11:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

rajib (12/26/2008)
I love the word "depends". :D

How about we assume that I'm looking for everything (3 things mentioned above as well as other items not listed there)? I am interested in learning what others have done in their projects. That's all.

Then I believe it's going to boil down to what I said... those 3 things, a viable audit trail for all changes, and security. On the security side for things like SEC and SOX audits, you'll be asked to prove that not even DBA's can change the data without an audit trail being left. That's just about impossible unless you have a shop where the DBA's don't have SA access.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #625987
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 2:39 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Steve Jones - Editor (12/26/2008)
It's not that we don't want to answer, but this could be a book's worth of writing. We're asking what the goals of the audit are?

Most auditing is to determine what has happened or what things are changing. You've mentioned a few things that aren't in that area, but are more of a reivew.

What's the purpose of your audit?

I asked this question to learn more from my peers. I want to learn how every industry does their audit on their sql server. I saw some good response on concerns and issues raised in sarbanes oxley standard. Similarly, I would like to learn about other industry regulation such as HIPAA and others. I hope this kind of open ended question is OK to ask in this SSC forum.

Thanks

Rajib Bahar
Post #626044
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 2:59 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:44 AM
No standard including SOX, RFR/fact, sas 70, hipaa, pci, MA 201 etc. Provide guidance on implementation. At the end of the day you dbas know your systems and weaknesses better than auditors. That said there are no requirements on how to secure or configure databases to be compliant with sox.

Regardint the point of this thread, if you want to self assess across compliance requirements check out appdetective or ask me, I've dabbled in db auditing departments at my firm
Post #626048
Posted Friday, December 26, 2008 5:10 PM

SSC-Dedicated

rajib (12/26/2008)
I hope this kind of open ended question is OK to ask in this SSC forum.

Thanks

Absolutely... it does help folks understand if they know you know it's a very open question and that a specific answer isn't necessarily what you're after. You're just looking for discussion as to what some folks may have done.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #626061
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse