Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Storing Negative Numbers Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 2, 2013 8:21 AM
Along with a lot of other horrible decisions, I am now not allowed to use Negative numbers in any database design. Instead, I need to add another column (ex. Operator) which tells whomever that the data in the amount column is either Positive or Negative. Huh? Is there something I missed during my last 10 years designing databases?

Post #599801
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 6:18 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:50 AM
Do they have a reason for this decision?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #599804
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 6:18 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:08 AM
Are you trying to say you're looking for another job? Or that the company you work for is just positive by design?

Ronald Hensbergen

Help us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2+2=5 for significant large values of 2
Post #599805
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 6:59 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:14 PM
Not unless I've missed it to. If the value of a number is -3, it's -3, not 3 with some negative sign kept elsewhere that may or may not change it. That's a bit of a freaky design. Although, I'd have to check with an accounting friend for the details, I think there is a method of accounting whereby you designate everything as a value and then describe the value as either a credit or debit, + or -, maybe that's what you're dealing with.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #599837
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 9:15 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Basically what's going on here is that someone is looking at some wireframes of the UI and that's getting translated directly into a database design. If they want to give users an easy way to enter Postive / Negative amounts, by all means, give them a stupid designator / operator selector. However, that should not be how it's stored in the database. As far as accounting goes, I understand your point, but I would think that all Credits would be stored as Negative amounts, yes?

Post #599953
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 9:28 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:49 PM
tymberwyld (11/10/2008)
Basically what's going on here is that someone is looking at some wireframes of the UI and that's getting translated directly into a database design. If they want to give users an easy way to enter Postive / Negative amounts, by all means, give them a stupid designator / operator selector. However, that should not be how it's stored in the database. As far as accounting goes, I understand your point, but I would think that all Credits would be stored as Negative amounts, yes?

Not all credits are negative. It depends if they are expenses, liabilities, or assests.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #599962
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 10:57 AM
SSC Veteran

Lynn Pettis (11/10/2008)
Not all credits are negative. It depends if they are expenses, liabilities, or assests.

True, sorry, my Accounting knowledge is only so-so :)

Post #600048
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 6:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:03 AM
Heh... if you really want to throw a ball of wax at them before you decide to find a place with reasonable requirements, tell them the column should be named "IsNotNegative"... :D;)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #600323
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 6:36 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:07 PM
This would bring out the old Bastard DBA from Hell in me. Just encrypt all of the views and all outputs from the DB, calling it a new SOX measure, then mention that they must talk to SEcurity to get their own personal security code to decrypt the output.....

Or -

Comply with the request, and store every number in Hex form, again refusing to convert it back to decimal for output purposes.....

(it's been one of them days, so probably best not to heed any of this advice....:))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #600327
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 10:56 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, October 7, 2011 1:41 AM
tymberwyld (11/10/2008)

whatever the value and the operator the user selects. you multiply that value by -1.
for example
user entered 100 and selects '-'
the output would be: 100 * -1 = -100
or 100 * 1 =100 or no change

am i correct?

kshitij kumar
kshitij@krayknot.com
www.krayknot.com
Post #600404
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse