Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Implementing Change Data Capture in Microsoft® SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:52 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:19 PM
This paper discusses the implementation of Change Data Capture in SQL Server 2008 and how it is superior to the traditional change tracking mechanisms in the context of data warehousing applications.

Yes, that is exactly how I understood the suggested article. Read it twice...
It is clearly covering a topic "How to turn CDC on SQL server on".
Still did not understand: how is it superior to the traditional change tracking?
CDC is just a tool, not a solution. With multiple limitations it currently has, it can not be used for Auditing and could only be used as a part of the "History of changes" tracking solution...

Post #590564
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 14, 2013 9:26 AM
Is there something similar for SQLServer 2005?

[]s
Rubem Rocha
Manaus, AM - Brazil
Post #590609
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:57 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:26 PM
djpardalrocha (10/23/2008)
Is there something similar for SQLServer 2005?

[]s
Rubem Rocha
Manaus, AM - Brazil

CDC is new with SQL 2008. You may be able to implement a similar mechanism through triggers on the tables in 2005 and 2000, but there is nothing out of the box that will do this in 2005.

Post #590631
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:50 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, December 20, 2013 12:33 PM
Good article, well executed. I've been very excited about this development and can't wait for a chance to compare it to the traditional methods (e.g. triggers and time stamps) I've used in the past. While like others I am guarded in my enthusiasm as a result of MS's half-baked implementations of functionality in the past, my reading on this is it will save a lot of time. Thanks for taking the time and effort to work this out for us.

Kate The Great
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?
Post #590674
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:12 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:10 PM
I haven't had the chance to test out CDC yet so my comments do not in any way address reliability, particularly as Kate points out, with MS's past track record. However a number of posters question performance and benefit over traditional methods (eg triggers). A key point about CDC is that SQLServer uses the transaction log to work out the changes. This means that the auditing is done in the background by the server after the user transaction has committed. This is a fundamental point. The trigger method requires that auditing is done as part of the user transaction and so increases the overall time for the transaction to completed, including any potential contention with other transactions. CDC makes it a background task which obviously still uses resources in terms of cpu and cache, but it does not delay the transaction or impact the user experience, assuming you're server has adequate resources to handle the workload of the application, which it would need regardless of CDC or triggers.

Cheers
Roddy
Post #590857
Posted Friday, October 24, 2008 3:52 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Good article... Well explained ...

Post #591067
Posted Friday, October 24, 2008 8:08 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:04 AM
Hi,
Good article, clean and simple.
Another option to audit data changes, which is quite simple and done from outside the server, is this tool: (free)

http://www.nobhillsoft.com/DataProfiler.aspx

doesnt require any SQL configuraiton, works on all versions of SQL server, offers clear GUI to see the changes, and generates scripts to roll back between versions.

Post #591235
Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:25 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:08 PM
Is there any way to set up the change tracking tables - the ones that are created with a suffix "-CT" in a separate database?
We have a high transaction environment and the _CT tables can grow to enormously large tables and if they are in the same database, the backup sizes become huge.
Any solution that we can think of?
We can have these tables in a separate file groups, but we take transaction log backups for log shipping and we also need to take full database backups.
Post #636693
Posted Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:27 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:26 PM
No, the tables have to be created in the same database. You can adjust how long the data stays in there (I can't remeber off the top of my head how this is done but I remember seeing it somewhere.) another option is to have a process that offloads that data into another database so your ct tables are really just a temporary storage place. If you offload the data prior to the full backups, you would keep the size of the full backup low.

Post #637040
Posted Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:55 AM
Is it possible to find who changed the data in CDC ?
Login id or host name something like that ?
Post #638693
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse