Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Opendatasource problems with excel Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:36 PM
I have been working on getting opendatasource to work with excel. I have just been using select just to get the ole db thing working before I move on to updates.

Here is what I have come up with:

select * from opendatasource('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'DataSource=C:\PIDExcelTest\6322done.xls;
user id=Admin;password=;Extended properties=Excel 5.0')...[6322missing$]

Here is the error I am getting:

OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)" returned message "Could not find installable ISAM.".
Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)".

I am not sure what is causing that error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using excel 2002 and sqlserver express 2005.

Thanks you.

Quinn
Post #562482
Posted Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:22 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I found this thread using your error message:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=815084&SiteID=1

See if that has what you need. If not, copy the error into a search string and go from there. That's what I always do, and it almost always works.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #562566
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks for the link.

There was nothing there that seemed to stand out as being a problem with my connection. The version of msexcl40.dll is the same on both machines.

I am assuming that they are installed correctly.

Thanks

Quinn
Post #563091
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:06 AM
Heh... I've seen lot's of folks do it... they sit there with the spreadsheet open and try to run the code to populate. That will give such an error.

Also, you have to enable the server to do "ad hoc" queries. There's a registry entry that must be changed for that... I don't remember what the entry is, but I do remember it was a fairly easy Google.

Also, the server must have privs to C:\Temp because it will use some of that directory to do some of it's work. By default, the server doesn't have such access, if I recall correctly.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #563511
Posted Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks for the help.

I enabled ad-hoc queries from surface area configuration. Nobody is in the excel ss.

As far as server permissions to c:\temp do you mean the SQL Server of the server that I am getting the data from.

Thanks

Quinn
Post #563812
Posted Friday, September 5, 2008 6:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:06 AM
I mean C:\temp on the SQL Server that's doing the reading.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #564955
Posted Monday, September 8, 2008 11:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Jeff

I am assuming that sqlserver have access to c:\temp sence the account that SQL is running on is administrator and adminitrator have full access.

Thanks.

Quinn
Post #565642
Posted Monday, September 8, 2008 1:00 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:19 PM
Shouldn't it be Excel 8.0 for Excel 2002 in extended properties.
Also, MS recommends using OPENDATASOURCE for only infrequent access. Did you try linked server instead?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321686
Post #565699
Posted Monday, September 8, 2008 1:28 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Glen

I have already changed it to 8.0 instead of 5.0.

I have tried using a linked server and got the same error. I have 50 excel spreadsheets that need to be updated from SQLServer. I was looking at the book SQLServer 2005 bible where they discuss accessing excel using opendatasource. I was thinking this could be the solution to my problem. If there is a better way to get that done I am open to other suggestions. I also tried openrowsource and got the same error.

Thanks

Quinn
Post #565712
Posted Monday, September 8, 2008 1:33 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:19 PM
One of your previous postings saying that you have two servers?
Does it mean that your Excel file located on a server different from the server where SQL server is located?
Post #565716
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse