Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

DB File Extension Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2008 1:51 AM
The question suck a bit coz even though .ndf is a default extention, a file with .ndf extention does not get created by default with this extention when you create a new db. Only .mdf and .ldf files are created by default.
Post #561053
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 3:54 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:08 AM
Sorry question-master, but I disagree.
A "log" file is not the same as a database file. A "log" file is a "log" file, and what it holds may be "data", but that is true of any file.
If you are going to ask a question, please make sure that you know the answer first!

Kenneth Spencer.
Post #561078
Posted Friday, August 29, 2008 1:19 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, November 6, 2011 4:55 PM
I appreciate the QOD question because it encourages me to read BOL more and the questions and ensuing discussions helps me to better understand some of the BOL entries. If I studied the BOL more closely I would not have missed the question. Yes, I did not include the log file in my answer.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Post #561466
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:43 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 9, 2012 5:55 PM
LDf are used for the Transaction Log not for the Database itself.

José Miguel Gutiérrez Hilaccama
Database Developer - MCTS SQL Server 2005
No way Jose? ... bah
Post #561698
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008 11:08 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:36 PM
Nice question...:)

Post #562179
Posted Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:04 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 5:19 AM
The thing that caught me on this is that SQL Server does not require any secondary data files and so it could be considered that .ndf is not a "default" but then again if you add more than one data file it does default to .ndf from the GUI so maybe I'm reading too much into the question!

Nigel Moore
======================
Post #562490
Posted Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:32 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:34 AM
Trick question. Not funny nor have I learnt anything from it.
Post #563626
Posted Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:01 AM
hey Guys but *.ndf is not default file in database
Post #566084
Posted Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:25 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:04 AM
here is the explaination I got after answering the quesiton incorrectly...

'SQL Server 2005 does not enforce the .mdf, .ndf, and .ldf file name extensions, but these extensions help you identify the different kinds of files and their use. MDF is for primary database files, NDF is for secondary database files and LDF is for log files.'

I left out the log file, but in thinking about it - I do agree that the log file is part of the database files. I am not hung up on whether I get or don't get the point, but I find it funny that the explaination supports my incorrect answer.
Post #613095
Posted Saturday, October 2, 2010 9:32 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:40 AM
I fell into the same trap as a couple of others: I assumed that "default" meant that the system would supply that extension as a default, so I left out .ndf (the default for secondary database files is actually no extension, not .ndf). Of course, were I creating such a file I would follow the reccomendation and give it a .ndf extension, so although it isn't the system's default it is in some sense my default.

Tom
Post #997225
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse