Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

MySQL Primer for the SQL Sever DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:56 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item MySQL Primer for the SQL Sever DBA

ken kaufman
Lead DBA, Zillow.com
Post #548847
Posted Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2008 12:00 PM
A good and balanced article. I take exception to the final sentence in the MyISAM section though: "Overall for small read-only data sets Myisam out of the box (Downloaded from SourceForge) is an excellent choice, but does struggle as the datasets grow, and requires tuning".
I am not sure what you would define as small, but we have a 180gb spatial database with 450 million rows running off MyISAM and the performance does not appear to have degraded with size at all.
Spatial databases are still a bit of a specialized subset, though this was the reason I switched from SQL Server to MySQL in the first place.
Post #548858
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 4:21 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
Ken,
Thanks for the article. Very informative!

Mark
Post #548988
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 6:26 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
Ditto on the thanks. This was a good intro.

Note: Yes, you're right about the religious wars. Some people approach these discussions with a ferver that is a little disturbing...

Post #549056
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 6:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2008 7:12 AM
Great Article! I currently migrated a couple of MSSQL 2000 db's to MySQL.
Post #549082
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:15 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:33 AM
Wonderful Article. I hope you continue this into a "series" and delve deeper into SQL Server vs. MySQL, perhaps in writing code, Stored Object (SPs, Views, Functions, etc) and other day-to-day use comparisons.

Keep up the good work!

Francis
-----------------
SQLRanger.com
Post #549131
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:03 PM
Is anyone else having issues with MySQL's documentation and addition/removal of features? Things like database renaming (added then removed), local file imports having to use the option -L (was optional, now required) ... It seems like each release, no matter how minor, means I have to re-learn everything. Scripts I save in 1 version fail when run against the next minor release. I realize things like the database renaming were better off removed as they did not work at all. But how about fixing instead of just removing!
Also I would have to agree with performance issues, I have tables with 144 million rows, in MyISAM and the performance is worse than that of an MS Access DB!
Overall MySQL is not my DB of choice - SQL Server, Oracle and Sybase are better in every aspect. But MySQL is free, so I guess its worth all my time re-writing scripts!?

Post #549136
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:26 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:23 AM
Great intro - as said before, please consider turning this into a series of "hands on" articles.

thanks

Post #549148
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:29 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
Great article. I'm almost surprised that this has not drawn more fire ... er ... posts. It's early in the US though.

The cost of MySQL is great. The open source thing is a bit to get over at first. I can download it and use it myself. My customer can download it and use it. I can't download it and install it for them. We give the customer a sheet of instructions and set with them while they download it and install it. Once done the sheet says, "Now your consultant can be engaged to reconfigure and tune the installation."

The other thing about MyIsam is the way you can do backups. Stop the service, copy the files, start the service. Restore is the same way. To reinstall run your create table scripts and do the restore. This won't work with the other engines.

The GUI admin was not built into version 4. SqlYog to the rescue. Version 5 has a lot of new cool stuff in it. Since we have become MS partners we do a lot less with MySQL. We have to support the stuff in the field still. The stuff runs every day.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #549154
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:38 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:27 PM
If you haven't yet, bnordberg, you may want to take a look at PostgreSQL; it's also free and I would expect the learning curve to be a bit more reasonable for someone with a MS SQL Server/Oracle/Sybase background.

Cheers.
Post #549169
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse