Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

The Daily Commute Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:32 AM
I travel about 38 miles (61km) to the office and back each day. This journey takes approximately 1:30hrs in the morning and about 50minutes on the way home. This is terrible. Some days its taken 3.5 hours to do the journey in the morning!

For those of you in the UK my daily commute involves travelling up/down the M62 from Manchester to Leeds!!!!

Its the one thing that really frustrates me about my job. I love everything about it apart from the commute!

So that got me thinking - are there any people out there with a worse drive to the office?

Matt

Post #528561
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 4:44 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:54 AM
I catch a train, so no...

However, should I decide to drive in one day then I would imagine that getting into Piccadilly Circus in the West End of London at rush hour would be less than pleasent. I can't actually think of a route that would not involve endless hours of sitting bumper to bumper.
Post #528607
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 4:49 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 6:27 PM
I don't drive to work, but spend over an Hour on the tube (if there are no delays) and in this heat it getting a bit unberable...
Post #528609
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 5:30 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:32 AM
I feel for you guys. I couldnt sit on a train/tube for an hour with no air conditioning!! Especially stood up with people barging into you all the time.

Matt.
Post #528621
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 5:47 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

You soon learn to work out which trains are less crowded and at what times the newer trains with air conditioning leave the station!

The older trains with no air con suck on hot days...If it's a hot day, I'll go grab a beer and wait for the next train that has air con!
Post #528630
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 6:55 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:43 PM
I drive 20 miles which takes about 35-45 minutes in outer NW London/Hertfordshire, or I can drive to the other office which is 10 miles into W London - and that takes an hour!

I find that if I get delayed by even 5 minutes then I start to go potty!

Post #528658
Posted Friday, July 4, 2008 11:09 AM

Ten Centuries

I used to drive 40 miles each way in my last job. Used to drive me nuts when there was a crash on the M3. That sucked.

However, considering the petrol prices now, I'm kind of relieved I only pay £200 for train fares each month. I was spending £200 a month in petrol about 2 years ago. I can't imagine what it would cost me now.

Anyways....The last commute of the weekend is starting now.....via the pub :)
Post #528734
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 4:33 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:02 AM
I drive 40 miles each way .. its like a buffer between home and work in my own world etc ! I dont mind the drive its the cost of petrol now thats making it a pain .. but thats the same for us all I guess

Post #529158
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 4:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
Two hours & three trains each way: Reading -> Virginia Water -> Weybridge -> Surbiton (Reading -> Basingstoke -> Surbiton as backup route). WFH two days a week so it ain't too bad. I used the tube for 15 years before moving to Reading a couple of years ago. The tube is horrible: in this day and age there are still people who appear to think that bathing once or twice a week is acceptable. Not in the summer it isn't

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #529166
Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 4:59 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:02 AM
yeah I think Id trade longer travel times for a couple of days WFH a week .. especially the way the oil worlds going

Post #529167
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse