Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Email reports directly to the hands of your Executives Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:32 AM
Nice artice. Great solution.

Post #523232
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:40 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:39 AM
Wouldn't sp_makewebtask and sp_runwebtask also work for you?
How about SQL Reporting Services?
Post #523316
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:04 AM
Austin,

This looks like a great solution. Quick question: I don't see any html tags (html, body, etc.).

How does the bbry know how to interpret the data? I'm not familiar with the bbry email client, so that may just be the way bbry's handle it. I know that my windows mobile device doesn't accept html emails. That seems to be one benefit of bbry over windows mobile devices.

This may be asking for too much, but is there a way to send the email with both html type formatting and also text formatting, so that if the device doesn't support html (like my device), it would show the text version? I know that your solution was aimed at getting away from the tedious task of formatting text.

Seth
Post #523320
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:22 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:20 PM
No offense, but xp_sendmail is a horrible solution! xp_sendmail uses cdo, which is buggy and prone to crashing without giving any error messages.

Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189505.aspx, and Microsoft tells you:
"This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. To send mail from SQL Server, use Database Mail."
Post #523402
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:31 AM
Grasshopper

We actually use something called sp_send_cdosysmail. We found it on this site and it works well for us. I also found it on Microsoft's website, so I don't know who is the original author. I think it might only send text email though.

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but from my own, using CDO from this procedure has worked well for me.
Post #523413
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:32 AM
Grasshopper

I don't think Database.Mail is available in SQL 2000.
Post #523415
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:05 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
I think this is a great idea, and it's similar to one I've used to email myself DBA reports every day.

xp_sendmail has worked fine for me for years. And very solid. There are bugs and it can be a problem overall, but in many environments it works great.

alternatively, in SS2K5 and above, use Database Mail instead for sending. In SS2K, xp_smtpmail is also a third party add-in I'd recommend, but there's nothing wrong with using xp_sendmail if it works well in your environment.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #523464
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:31 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:20 PM
I suppose I should have qualified my statement with "an environment running multiple mailservers, content filters, and sql server instances."

The solution presented will not work for me, we do not have Outlook installed on the servers with sql server installed. xp_sendmail has always given us headaches when it comes to mass mailings, which could apply here, but in most cases will not.

Sorry for jumping the gun, I get a little passionate about my work.
Post #523486
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:06 AM
How about using SQL reporting services for this purpose. I use reporting services to email patient census to my management team which is scheduled to deliver at specified intervals.

Post #523493
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:40 AM
Grasshopper

Can someone comment on my question regarding html tags? Does bbry not require these?
Post #523497
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse