Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Uninstall SSRS If you are not using it Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:44 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Uninstall SSRS If you are not using it

--www.sqlvillage.com
Post #506657
Posted Monday, May 26, 2008 10:34 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:50 PM
There is a good reason for this error, here: [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337324.aspx][/url]

Reporting Services is not an unplanned installation.
Post #506658
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:01 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:37 AM
Nice article but if you googled first you could hit the reporting service first. Generally when I get a new error I google it.........:)

Post #506712
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, June 17, 2011 7:14 AM
Saying that you will Google the error is all very well but don't forget that someone has to highlight and document these "features" in the first place. Well done for writing the article.

Post #506745
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:24 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:56 AM
Thanks for the article - it is to the point and focused.

It made me think of the components of SQL that I have installed and know that I do not use them and should get around to removing them - but never have. (on my laptop - not on production servers)

Thanks
Kevin
Post #506817
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:58 PM
At first glance, I tend to disagree. I don't always know which features will be used in the long-term on a new SQL Server. So I install AS,IS and RS. Then I install the latest Service Pack. (If I install RS later, I will have to reapply the Service Pack to fully patch that new module)

And by having it already installed, it is ready to use if/when we decide to use that feature.

Of course I agree with stopping the services related to an unused product.

This is just my practice.
Post #506845
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:47 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
In general, it's a good idea to reduce the surface area of a server by disabling unused services. This includes Reporting Services, integration services, IIS, etc....
Post #506886
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:44 PM
this error came after a year from date of installation. when service was already disabled.

--www.sqlvillage.com
Post #506923
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:11 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 4:46 PM
John Bates (5/27/2008)
At first glance, I tend to disagree. I don't always know which features will be used in the long-term on a new SQL Server. So I install AS,IS and RS. Then I install the latest Service Pack. (If I install RS later, I will have to reapply the Service Pack to fully patch that new module)

And by having it already installed, it is ready to use if/when we decide to use that feature.

Of course I agree with stopping the services related to an unused product.

This is just my practice.

This practice is flawed. Best Practice dictates that you should install only what you need. If you aren't sure, then someone who is should be performing the installation.

As for the guy saying "If you had googled first" I would submit that little relevant information would be returned. This is a case of an experienced DBA using his knowledge along with a little bit of testing to resolve an error that is generally not documented.

Well done. Nice article. And now a google search WILL return relevant information for DBAs who run into the same issue.
Post #506946
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:54 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
Tend to agree with you above. Don't install something you don't need.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #506974
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse