Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

SSIS package version control Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 11, 2011 2:13 PM
We also use the SVN, but its very defficult to make out the what exactly is changed. Do you know how to understand it.
Post #1051892
Posted Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:54 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, December 1, 2014 1:14 PM
Because of how rdl builds I've found adding notes when you commit helps a ton.
Post #1051966
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:27 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:06 AM
The .dtsx files are absolutely abysmal for source control. Impossible to merge or get any idea of what was changed from version to version, so the only thing you can rely on are commit comments. MS could make this so much better by separating the code used to drive developer studio from the steps to minimize the changes to the files. Perhaps split the files into two or put all the horrible gobbledygook somewhere at the bottom? Right now they might as well be completely binary.
Post #1054239
Posted Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:54 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:24 AM
Vivien Xing (5/7/2008)
I sent a feedback to Microsoft. Package version feature will be considered for the next major release. If you have any comments to add on, here is the link:

SSIS Package Version Change Tracking Log in SSMS - SQL2005 & SQL2008
http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=341995

Thank you for suggesting this to Microsoft.

Adding the ability of tracking last modified date in packages through querying msdb.dbo.sysssispackages will also help in maintaining a Disaster/Recovery environment with the latest changes in production.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #1054814
Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 9:20 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 8:13 AM
Marios Philippopoulos (1/27/2011)
Vivien Xing (5/7/2008)
I sent a feedback to Microsoft. Package version feature will be considered for the next major release. If you have any comments to add on, here is the link:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=341995

Adding the ability of tracking last modified date in packages through querying msdb.dbo.sysssispackages will also help in maintaining a Disaster/Recovery environment with the latest changes in production.

Good point thinking about DR. I am glad that Microsoft heard our voice. It took a couple of years to see the change.

Anyone has tried SQL Server Denali CTP yet? Hope the version tracking feature meets our expectations.
Post #1055395
Posted Friday, January 28, 2011 1:42 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:24 AM
Vivien Xing (1/28/2011)
Marios Philippopoulos (1/27/2011)
Vivien Xing (5/7/2008)

Good point thinking about DR. I am glad that Microsoft heard our voice. It took a couple of years to see the change.

Anyone has tried SQL Server Denali CTP yet? Hope the version tracking feature meets our expectations.

Unfortunately, for the time being I'm stuck with SQL 2008, so I have to make do with the verbuild column of msdb.dbo.sysssispackages.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #1055601
Posted Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:03 PM
Thank you, Vivian, for submitting a feedback to Microsoft. I have just added my vote to your post. Per the comment from Microsoft, this would be fixed in Denali. My question is, in the meantime, how does one know a package deployment is successful? For me, I have to do it the hard way - I have to first delete all the existing packages and then redeploy all of them to ensure the server has the latest. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks.
Post #1137714
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse