Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

The Unpopular SELECT Statement Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:48 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 12:56 AM
Reposting the attachment... (sales_abf.zip)

Post Attachments 
sales_abf.zip (36 views, 97.29 KB)
Post #458180
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:55 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi Steve, I just reposted the sales_abf.zip, which seems to be successful this time.
Try downloading it. Then on step 3.4 (restore database window on SSMS) restore it as different database name, for example sales2. It seems to me that the error has no relation with the restore process. If restoring as different DB name doesn't work, you can verify that your your SSAS environment works properly by deploying a project from BIDS.
Kind regards,
Vincent
Post #458182
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:00 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:39 AM
That got me further ... I now get the following error:

The following system error occurred: Access Denied. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

Is there a password or other security option I need to set?

Thanks,
Steve
Post #458185
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:48 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Vincent,

Thanks for sticking with this ... :)

Unfortunately that didn't work. I now get an error:

The ddl2:MemberKeyUniqueElement at line 97, column 10600 (namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2) cannot appear under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/Hierarchies/Hierarchy.
Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Sales2.0.db\Dim Date.1.dim.xml'.
Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Sales cube, from the file, '\\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL ServeMSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Sales2.0.db\Sales.2.cub.xml'. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

What are the steps to testing the deployment you suggested.

Thanks,
Steve
Post #458209
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:34 PM

SSC Journeyman

Hi Steve,
there is no security that you need to setup when restoring sales.abf or when opening the analysis services project. When and where did the "access denied" error happen?

I'm also trying to understand when and where the other error that you mentioned (The ddl2:MemberKeyUniqueElement at line 97) happened. It looks like an XMLA error. Did this error occur when you try to execute sales.xmla to create the cube?

To deploy an analysis services project, open BIDS. Create a new SSAS project. Create a data source pointing to the sales database created by DDL.sql. Create a data source view from this data source. Create a cube by using Create Cube Wizard. Then right click on the solution and choose deploy.

Alternatively, you can also create a cube on SSAS server by executing sales.xmla from SQL Server Management Studio. When doing this, don't click on "New Query" but click on "New XMLA Query" button on the tool bar.

If you describe where and when the errors occured, I will try to help you further.

Kind regards,
Vincent
Post #458228
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:53 PM
Grasshopper

OK ... here we go.

I no longer get the access denied error. When I try and restore the file onto itself (sales.abf restoring to sales) I get the transporter error again. When I try and restore the file onto a different name (sales.abf restoring to sales1) I get the other error I described.

I tried executing the xmla script and it worked. I now have a Sales database on the analysis side. Since I got the DDL and data inserts scripts to work in the database engine side am I ready to go with the rest of your tutorial?

Thanks again,
Steve
Post #458247
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:44 PM

SSC Journeyman

Thanks for explaining it Steve. So when you restore Sales.abf to sales, SSMS said "Unable to read from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcible closed by the remote host." Where as when you restore the abf to Sales2, SSMS said "MemberKeyUniqueElement cannot appear under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/Hierarchies/Hierarchy. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, \Sales2.0.db\Dim Date.1.dim.xml'. An error occurred when loading the Sales cube, from the file, \Sales2.0.db\Sales.2.cub.xml'.

At first I was suspecting that perhaps it was because you were restoring SSAS 2008 backup into SSAS 2005 server, but when I checked, the sales.abf file that I just attached was a SSAS 2005 backup. I also tried restoring this sales.abf to both SSAS 2005 and SSAS 2008 server and had no problem restoring them. So it's not because of version. I once restored an SSAS 2008 backup file into SSAS 2005 server and the error message was something like 'compability' problem, rather than transport error or metadata error. What version of SSAS do you use Steve? If it is 2008, which CTP? Is this server local on your PC or remote on another computer? Which edition is the SSAS, i.e. developer, standard, or enterprise? I think if we want to pursue this avenue (the transport and metadata error), we need to understand the situation of your SQL Server/SSAS environment.

But now that you have successfully created the sales DB on SSAS, and have created the SQL Server tables and populated them. You can process the sales DB. Process means populating with data and calculating the aggregates. To do this, you need to repoint the data source on the sales DB to your SQL Server tables. This is done by expand data sources folder, right click on sales data source and choose properties. The connection string would be something like: "Provider=SQLNCLI10.1;Data Source=MySQLServer;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=Sales". Click on the elipsis button (...) on the Connection String. Set the Provider as "SQL Server Native Client", Server name = your SQL Server, authentication: Windows, database name: Sales DB that was created by the DDL.sql. Click on the Test Connection button to verify. Click on the ... button on the Impersonation Info and choose Use the Service Account. Click OK.

Now that the data source is pointing to the right tables. Right click the sales DB (not the sales DS, sales DSV or sales cube) and choose Process. Ensure that the Process Options is "Process Full". Click on OK to begin processing the sales DB. It should say "Process Succeeded". Click on Close.

Expand the cube folder and right click on the sales cube (not the sales DB, sales DS or sales DSV) and choose browse. You should now be able to browse the cube.
Note: please ensure that the tables are fully populated (contains data) before you process the SSAS DB. This can be done by executing the population scripts.

Kind regards,
Vincent
Post #458274
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:57 AM
Grasshopper

Not sure it is worth the effort of pursuing the error. SQL Server 2005 is on a desktop that I made into a 2003 server and is really for testing purposes and "playing around".

I did get the cube processed after redirecting the datasource to my server and was able to go through the rest of the tutorial.

Thanks,
Steve
Post #458531
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 1:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, January 30, 2009 8:52 AM
Steve,

A question for you. You mentioned that you were getting the Access Denied message when you tried to restore a database. You said you got past that, but I didn't see how. I'm trying to restore a database through Analysis Services and I'm getting the same Access Denied message. Can you share what you did to get by it?
Post #459272
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 2:27 PM
Grasshopper

In actually I didn't. What I did was I ran the create table and insert statement scripts on the database engine side and ran the cube create (xmla file) on the analysis side. Then I needed to redirect the datasource to my server. I then re-processed the cube and everything was fine.

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Post #459312
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse