Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Multi-Environment Deployments Using Team Edition for Database Professi Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 2, 2013 8:21 AM
Hey guys. I've started to try and evaluate the VSDB and I wasn't really impressed. I'm so used to having more control over how things are structed by using a simple "Database Project" (which comes with any version of VS Pro and above). When I attempted to put all the "Login" scripts into one file, VS just barked at me and said I didn't know what I was doing. Also, in some cases it's nice to add a Sub-folder to my Procs folder to categorize the Procedures (because we tend to have 200+ Procs). Were currently pushing Developers to use the Projects instead of going into the databases directly so that more can be controlled using VSS (yes, I don't like it either but it works). Then, once they've signed-off on the Scripts, us DBAs evaluate and deploy them.

As far as deploying it to multiple servers, that's always been easy. Just setup multiple Connections to the DB Project and depending on the User's rights (we use NT Groups here) they either can or can't script the objects on that Server.

I'm just trying to get some "Pros" of using this because I haven't seen one yet.

Post #451110
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 6:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:47 AM
Automatic verification of changes to the scripts as you save them is a pretty large advantage. Refactoring object names is great. The Static Code Analysis is getting a lot more use. Using this tool & MSBuild we've been able to automate our deployments in a way that just wasn't possible just using the old style DB projects. You do have to buy into the tools approach in order to make it work well. We've found that managing all the scripts individually, rather than in groups, has its advantages too. Still, it's not for everyone.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #451115
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 6:31 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM
tymberwyld (2/4/2008)
Hey guys. I've started to try and evaluate the VSDB and I wasn't really impressed. I'm so used to having more control over how things are structed by using a simple "Database Project" (which comes with any version of VS Pro and above). When I attempted to put all the "Login" scripts into one file, VS just barked at me and said I didn't know what I was doing. Also, in some cases it's nice to add a Sub-folder to my Procs folder to categorize the Procedures (because we tend to have 200+ Procs). Were currently pushing Developers to use the Projects instead of going into the databases directly so that more can be controlled using VSS (yes, I don't like it either but it works). Then, once they've signed-off on the Scripts, us DBAs evaluate and deploy them.

As far as deploying it to multiple servers, that's always been easy. Just setup multiple Connections to the DB Project and depending on the User's rights (we use NT Groups here) they either can or can't script the objects on that Server.

I'm just trying to get some "Pros" of using this because I haven't seen one yet.

tymberwyld,
I could give you a fairly sizable list. Top of that list would probably (for me) be the Schema Compare and Data Compare features. I love the ability to easily sync up different environments against each other or against your project. Hugely valuable.

-Jamie

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #451122
Posted Monday, February 4, 2008 7:06 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:44 AM
I really believe the biggest benefit is the ability to check and validate objects on the fly. This will point out errors with the changes as you make them; this is nice. As far as the build in schema compare and data compare Red Gate does a FAR better job at this. Of course you have to pay for those tools but the added cost is worth it. DBPro does not allow you, from what I can see, the ability to set up a reusable definition of your comparison projects something that Red Gate does nicely.
Post #451137
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:08 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to let go and trust the "tools".

Post #452530
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:15 AM
SSC Veteran

Hmm, I just remembered one of the reasons why I wasn't liking this Team Edition for DB. One of the things we want to do is have the Developers manage the scripts for their particular Procedures. Because the Procs scripts would be in Source Safe (or in this case TFS) it would be impossible for two developers to overwrite each others changes for the same proc (which can potentially happen now with them just going into the database).

I couldn't find a way in this new edition to simply modify one script file and then run it against a Dev server instance. The scripts are all created as "CREATE" scripts so they wouldn just error out when run multiple times.

Has anyone found a way to do this and still use the deployment tools?

Post #452766
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:40 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Nope. The one issue that we've had, and believe me the developers have howled, is that they can not simply add procedures (or drop them either). They have to let the dba team know that new procedures exist. We can pick them up from source control and add them. It actually works out, for us, because it provides us with a pretty easy mechanism to identify the procedures that need a review.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #452784
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
hmm - I could swear I saw something under deploy options to drop objects from the server that don't exist in the database project. I will have to go looking for that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #452865
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:34 AM

SSChampion

Oh yeah, you can have the project deploy or drop objects, yes. It's getting objects into the project (or out) that is the problem. My developers all have the Developers Edition of the Team Suite. I've got the Database Edition of the Team Suite. When you create a database project from DBPro, it can't be modified by the Developer's Edition.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #452870
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:40 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
Oh - entirely different problem. I see where we're heading now....

But I guess that's so that you can't backdoor your way into having all of the advantages of DBPro without actually licensing DBPro for all interested parties....:)

If they ARE licensed for the entire team suite though - they should load the VSTS for DB add-on. It should give them permission to update the project then....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #452877
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse