Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How to inner join a result set from stored procedure without creating temp table Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2007 10:08 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 11:09 AM
Hello,

I wonder how can I inner join the running result from my sp in my sql query:
e.g. select * from tableA A inner join (result of stored procedure) B on A.ID = B.ID

I might be able to create a temp table and dump the result of sp over there, do I have to use temp table? or there is an easy way to approach this?

Thanks.
Post #396555
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2007 10:11 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:05 AM
You're going to want to dump it into a temporary table, table variable or if possible change the stored procedure to be a table-valued function (not always possible). Then you can join to it.
Post #396558
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2007 10:23 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:54 AM
Dumping it into a temp table isn't hard, but you could also consider using derived tables.  The derived table is calculated within your parenthesis.  I've included a link to a page for you to review.  http://www.sqlteam.com/article/using-derived-tables-to-calculate-aggregate-values

Post #396567
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2007 10:57 AM

SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 11:09 AM
Thank you guys for responding.

I am having more and more trouble:

To do an experiment, I created a temp table, and tried to inner join that table. Unfortunately that sp is on a linked server, it seems there is some restriction on getting data from a linked server, here is the error I encountered:
Query:
create table #t(observanceid int, observancetime datetime, observancetype int)
insert #t(observanceid, observancetime, observancetype) exec [MyServer].MyDB.dbo.listdata

Error1: MSDTC on server 'MyServer' is unavailable

Following a suggestion from http://geekswithblogs.net/narent/archive/2006/10/09/93544.aspx

I got error 2:
The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

What the hell is going on? How can I resolve this issue?

All I need is:

I need to do some data analysis on a production server, so I don't have write permission to create sp directly on that server. Instead, what I am thinking is:

1. link the server to my shell db/server
2. write sp on my shell db/server

I have new tables created on my shell db/server, which I will need to join with data result returned from the sp on the linked server.

Or, considering the frequency of polling data, is there a way to create a kind of "back up" or view on shell db/server using that stored procedure on the linked server?

That's all my tasks.

Thank you very much.

Post #396580
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse