Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««2728293031»»

The T-SQL Quiz Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:34 PM
It will vary from machine to machine... except on Tuesdays... :P

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #526335
Posted Monday, January 12, 2009 4:07 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:09 AM
Sergiy (5/28/2007)
If you don't specify the version that means it must work on EVERY version, not only the one you know.

Of course these means that CTE's are out as well then.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #635106
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:41 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07 AM
Jack Corbett (1/12/2009)
Sergiy (5/28/2007)
If you don't specify the version that means it must work on EVERY version, not only the one you know.

No way. As a matter of fact, since 2000 is out of support, you could argue that making it work there is out of bounds (I'm not arguing that, but one could).

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #635293
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:44 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:02 AM
Not to mention 6.5 which had no support for TOP operator... :D

N 56°04'39.16"
E 12°55'05.25"
Post #635296
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Grant Fritchey (1/13/2009)
Jack Corbett (1/12/2009)
Sergiy (5/28/2007)

No way. As a matter of fact, since 2000 is out of support, you could argue that making it work there is out of bounds (I'm not arguing that, but one could).

True enough, 2000 is out of support... now, tell me it's out of use. Hmmm... that would make a good survey question... I'll think there's almost as many bytes stored under 2k as there are in 2k5.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #635310
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:13 AM

SSC-Dedicated

How odd... here we're talking about portability between releases of SQL Server... the ANSI-only folks would have a ball with this. Of course, then I'd have to launch some pork chops because even current ANSI code isn't always backwards compatible, either. :D

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #635314
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:37 AM

SSChampion

Jeff Moden (1/13/2009)

True enough, 2000 is out of support... now, tell me it's out of use. Hmmm... that would make a good survey question... I'll think there's almost as many bytes stored under 2k as there are in 2k5.

We'll we're running about 90% of our databases in 2000 still. So it's hardly a lost art around here. We're in the process of trying to move everyone to 2008. It looks like, by & large, 2005 is going to be skipped.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #635335
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:33 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Jeff Moden (1/13/2009)

We'll we're running about 90% of our databases in 2000 still. So it's hardly a lost art around here. We're in the process of trying to move everyone to 2008. It looks like, by & large, 2005 is going to be skipped.

Yep... same here. The way we're shifting to 2008 is we need to do a 2.0 rewrite of our stuff... the legacy code we were left (and there's no "original" folks left) is in really sorry shape, very performance and scalability inhibited, and there's virtually no documentation in the code to speak of. Some of the code is just incredibly stupid. For example, someone actually made a function to do a modulo and someone else used INT to drop times from dates (rounding problem). I took one section of code that took 40 minutes just to get a file ready for import... admittedly, it's a highly import resistant file, but they do a couple of imports/re-exports, hit it with a Perl script, and a bunch of other hooie... I got it down to 90 seconds to do the actual import and that's without any tuning... Sorry... didn't mean to make that sound like a brag... it just shows how bad the legacy code is.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #635473
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:39 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:09 AM
Jeff Moden (1/13/2009)

Where I am at right now, part-time contract for 2 more weeks, there is one "minor" system on 2005, the rest are 2000 except for the Quality system which is 7.0 still. Of course this is what happens when you treat your IT staff like dirt, make them the first part of layoffs, and drive them all to find new jobs, even for less pay. One guy took a 50% pay cut to get out.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #635490
Posted Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:49 AM

SSChampion

Jack Corbett (1/13/2009)

Where I am at right now, part-time contract for 2 more weeks, there is one "minor" system on 2005, the rest are 2000 except for the Quality system which is 7.0 still. Of course this is what happens when you treat your IT staff like dirt, make them the first part of layoffs, and drive them all to find new jobs, even for less pay. One guy took a 50% pay cut to get out.

Holy cow. That is some serious desperation to take a 50% pay cut. Has consulting there been entertaining.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #635508
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««2728293031»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse