Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Copying DTS Packages To a Different Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:27 AM
Great article.

Let me just add my thoughts on minimizing having to edit your dts packages when you move them to a different server.

One way to avoid the need to change all those server connections in dts packages when you move them to another server is to use UDLs. you can setup UDLs in a centtral repository, say a file server and access them from that location. just make sure that you check the "always read properties from UDL file" check box.

Post #29968
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 8:23 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 8:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback. UDL's are handy, not just for DTS packages. Every little bit helps later on.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29969
Posted Tuesday, April 2, 2002 7:18 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, May 5, 2006 1:47 PM
Just remember that UDLs are only usefull in SQL 2000 because in SQL 7.0 they where consumed at design-time not run-time.

Darren Green
SQLDTS.com   |   SQLIS.com   |   Konesans Ltd
Post #29970
Posted Thursday, April 4, 2002 6:48 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:37 AM
Having experienced migrating a Data Warehouse from SQL 7.0 to SQL 2000 (a MUST, believe me!), I discovered some very interesting issues with the DTS packages. You will discover that if you attempt to migrate DTS packages from one SQL2000 server to another, you will NOT be able to edit or delete the DTS packages if the new server has a different name....Seems that rather than embed Local in the msdb entries, it hard codes the server names into the entries...Not pretty.

Post #29971
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 11:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 8:41 PM
Does this VB script to move DTS, moves owner id along with the package, because when I use save as
use my userid, and then the developer cannot use it.
Thanks
Anwar

Post #29972
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 4:37 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Yes, it does. Anything that is part of the package gets moved.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29973
Posted Friday, July 25, 2003 12:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 9:21 AM
any suggestions on how to move dts packages from server a to server b where server a and b are totally disconnected from each other?
thanks!
-nicky

Post #29974
Posted Friday, July 25, 2003 1:18 PM
SSCertifiable

No way to establish a temporary connection over a VPN? You can export to COM files, copy them to the other server that way. Or even export as VB code and run that against the new server. Other than that...you could BCP out the tables involved, BCP back in on the other server.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29975
Posted Friday, October 24, 2003 10:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 12:00 AM
What platform do you code this in? I'm doing a project for school where I have to copy info from one server to another. Also does there need to be a main routine to pass the values through the function(i.e. Destination Server)?

Post #29976
Posted Friday, October 24, 2003 3:07 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 3:39 AM
Personally I find copying the entries in the sysdtspackages table a lot easier, as described at http://www.sqldts.com/?204

Steven
Post #29977
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse