Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Copying DTS Packages To a Different Server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/copyingdtspackagestoadifferentserver.asp>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/copyingdtspackagestoadifferentserver.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #3063
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 7:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:05 AM
Red Gate Software are working on a new product to help people out in comparing and synchronizing the different settings between different SQL Servers. It will be called SQL Server Compare. It will compare DTS packages, logins, jobs and server settings. The idea is to save DBAs who have to administer and set up multiple SQL Servers a whole load of time. It should be launched before the end of April. People interested in the Beta (and in influencing what functionality we include) please contact us at: sqlservercompare@red-gate.com
Cheers,
Simon Galbraith

Post #29959
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 10:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:19 AM
moving DTS packages is as easy as using save-as and picking the other server...

Post #29960
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 11:09 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Depends on how many you're moving doesn't it? I wrote this after someone asked for help moving more than 200 packages.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29961
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 11:14 AM
SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:25 AM
I haven't had a chance yet to test it, but it is an interesting concept for moving DTS packages that I will have to play with it. Good job.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Post #29962
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 11:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I guess my point was if you have to go in to review each DTS package to check if pathing whatever is correct then file save as works as well as spending the time to get this working. I'm not saying this isn't a slick way to automate if you can be sure. Sorry I didn't express that better the first time.

Post #29963
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 1:35 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, May 5, 2006 1:47 PM
The limitation of the wizard not allowing you to transfer system tables can be overcome by building the package manually.

Transferring DTS Packages
http://www.sqldts.com/main.asp?nav=1,6,204,0

Darren Green
SQLDTS.com   |   SQLIS.com   |   Konesans Ltd
Post #29964
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 1:50 PM
SSCertifiable

Retreif - I agree. You either have to spend extra time (possibly anyway) when you build it to make it portable or live with the consequences if/when you have to move it. I figure you could at least do the bulk move, then edit the ones you knew you had to fix, then see whats left!

Darren - thanks for the link. Should have looked there first! Fun to explore though. Have you considered participating in the beta test mentioned above?

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29965
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 4:25 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I sometimes think only in my world too, I never know what to expect in the package I develop in and maintain. Too many different "styles" to count on any thing working like that. I'm also glad not to be working in app with 200 or more DTS packages transferring data between data sources!

Post #29966
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2002 4:33 PM
SSCertifiable

Aint that the truth!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #29967
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse