Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Alternative to the Microsoft MMC Console Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:18 AM

Jereme,

Not bad for your second article.  I read your first one too on Printing in .NET.  Keep up the good work!  You have a very helpful style. 

All the best,

Dale

Author: An Introduction to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio
Post #297613
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:36 PM
As you are missing the /inc folder, and files, what is the db table structure. this sounds like a great idea but the missing files obscure the solution you used....
Post #297621
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:21 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:21 PM

I posted this once but it went to the wrong place.  The original post went here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=280&messageid=297580.  I couldn't find a way to delete that post.

I am having difficulty setting this up to work.  I have a virtual directory in IIS with the pages downloaded to it, and I have installed the tswebsetup.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwebconn.mspx.

In connections.asp these files are referenced:

<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="/conn.inc" -->
<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="/adovbs.inc" -->
<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="/inc/Func.inc" -->

But these files are not included in the zip file for download, and there is no mention in the article as to the contents or format these files need in order to work on the page.  I get this error when I visit the page:

Error Type:
Active Server Pages, ASP 0130 (0x80004005)
File attribute '/conn.inc' cannot start with forward slash or back slash.
/newmmc/connections.asp, line 4

I thought conn.inc would include the servers to include in the list, but it looks like it wants to connect to a SQL Server to get that list, so I created a new DB and added a ServerList table and an SP for the page to call to get the list.

I got past the error stemming from the constant adCmdStoredProc not being defined by downloading adovbs.inc from here: http://www.asp101.com/articles/john/adovbs/default.asp.

That brought me to this error, which is probably because I need the function which is defined in Func.inc?

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
Type mismatch: 'ConvertText'
/newmmc/connections.asp, line 22

On another topic, does this forum only work for IE? I tried with both Opera 9 and FireFox 1.5 and neither one would let me type into the reply box, and there were multiple JavaScript errors reported in both error consoles.

Post #297622
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:39 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:41 PM

Nice short article, but probably a little too short and definately needs some screenshots. Maybe after "a couple hours", a extra couple of hours should have been spent making everything presentable.

The provided download should be easy to setup and get working. Unfortunately there seems to be a couple of missing files, the asp page calls a stored procedure that is not mentioned or provided in the download. It seems other posters have had other various issues as well.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is this any different that the Remote Desktop snap-in provided in the Windows Server 2003 Admin Tools Pack?

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #297643
Posted Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:24 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 20, 2007 1:25 AM
Great article, thanks.

Post #297659
Posted Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:03 PM

I'm also getting an error when running the Connections.asp page

Active Server Pages, ASP 0126 (0x80004005)
The include file 'inc/stuff.inc' was not found.
/test/NewMMC/Connections.asp, line 5

Post #297861
Posted Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:03 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:30 AM

Sorry all, I have been gone for the last week due to my wife having our second child.

Thanks to Steve Jones, the zip file available for download within the article now includes the files needed for the right click and disconnect functionality.

Post #299024
Posted Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:21 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

The /inc folder simply contained my connections to my SQL server.  Seeing as this is a SQL server specific site, I assumed that people would know how to create databases, tables, and connections to the database.  For those that need help in this area, here is the script to create the table and stored proc.

USE [MyDatabase]
GO
/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[Servers]    Script Date: 08/02/2006 09:06:16 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
SET ANSI_PADDING ON
GO
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Servers](
 [MyDatabase_ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
 [Name] [varchar](100) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
 [Active] [bit] NULL,
 [Location] [varchar](50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
 [Description] [varchar](500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO
SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

/**************************Stored Procedure**************************/

USE [MyDatabase]
GO
/****** Object:  StoredProcedure [dbo].[spTSWeb]    Script Date: 08/02/2006 09:16:21 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS OFF
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[spTSWeb] AS
Select [Name]
 ,Location AS Loc
 ,Description AS Desc
From Servers
Where Active = 1
Order By Location,Servers_Name

Post #299039
Posted Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:40 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:03 PM

Congratulations on the birth! 

The error I was getting was this:

The include file 'inc/stuff.inc' was not found.

Are you saying that the file, stuff.inc, which is to be an include in connections.asp has the script to create tables?

I’m confused.

Will

Post #299047
Posted Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:43 AM
Right there with Babe

The constants that were stored in my include files which you need are these:

AnonUser = "myUserName"
AnonPword = "mySQLPassword"

Const adCmdStoredProc = &H0004

strConn =  "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;" & _
 "Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;" & _
 "Data Source=MyDatabaseServer;" & _
 "User Id=" & AnonUser & "; " & _
 "Password=" & AnonPword

As a side note, the adovbs file actually ships with windows.  Whether good or bad, many web developers include that file when dealing with server objects and the constants contained within the adovbs file.

As to the ConvertText function, that one was totally my fault for not including it.  Here it is, you should be able to put it right before the do loop at the top of the connections.asp file.

Function ConvertText(Value)
 If IsNull(Value) then
  ConvertText = ""
 Else
  ConvertText = Value
 End If
End Function

Post #299048
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse