Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Unit Testing and Code Generation Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:07 PM

I have to agree. The database development team that I belong to has been trying to work out these kinds of methods, but the nature of databases and the dirth of tools has made it rather difficult. We're just starting to look at implementing the Visual Studio instead of TSQLUnit as an aid to those methods.

The one issue that we've run into repeatedly is the amount of time it takes us to make database refactors as opposed to the amount of time a code refactoring takes. We need to get the developers to allow us more time or we have to find methods of speeding that process up.

BTW, the Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Developers actually does most of what our CodeSmith templates did and it's integrated with the development environment, so... so much for all that work.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #291083
Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 30, 2006 5:28 AM

There really is a lack of tools, but the vendors are starting to move forward finally.  I think with MS taking the lead we're going to see the other DB tool vendors wake up and realize that their toolsets don't really reflect modern development practices.  There has been virtually no thought leadership coming out of the data management community for years now, many of them still haven't come up to speed on evolutionary if not agile development, and they're struggling to deal with the new ways which development teams are working.  Worse yet, some of them are still pushing the outdated, and largely disproved, serial and/or command-and-control approach to development.  It's pretty sad.

Anyway, if you want to help things change in the data community, please start pointing people to www.agiledata.org.  I think it will give them something to think about.

- Scott

Post #291233
Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:33 PM
> We built a query that compares two sets of data by simply doing a count of the table and a count of the union. If they're different, it fails the test. Simplistic and limited it may be, but it gets the job done. We had tried exporting data to XML & doing all kinds of other comparisons, but this simple approach seemed to work much better than the fancier ones.

I did that at first, but found that unit tests failed more frequently than taking a known bit of data that hasn't changed in a long while, and using that instead.

Steve Miller
Post #291265
Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

> Anyway, if you want to help things change in the data community, please start pointing people to www.agiledata.org. I think it will give them something to think about.

I've been pointing them there for a while now. Thanks for creating the web site.

Steve Miller
Post #291268
Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:06 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

> BTW, the Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Developers actually does most of what our CodeSmith templates did and it's integrated with the development environment, so... so much for all that work.

I'll admit my ignorance publically now. (My excuse is that I've been overseas for the past year, and haven't been keeping up to date. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. What's this VS Edition for Database Developers?

Steve Miller
Post #291272
Posted Friday, June 30, 2006 5:16 AM

SSCoach

It's an add-on to Visual Studio. It's specifically targeted at database development. It manages all your database objects locally through scripts that can be checked into source control. It has a full unit test engine. It has a build & deployment mechanism that can be automated along with the TFS (Team Foundation Server) build mechanisms. It has exactly one, at this point, refactoring mechanism built in. Here's the web site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/dbpro/

We've been evaluating it. It looks likely that we'll be adopting it and it's associated processes, even though it's in CTP, as our database development tool.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #291464
Posted Friday, June 30, 2006 5:17 AM

SSCoach

You are the #1 resource on this stuff. I send anyone who'll listen over to your web site.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #291465
Posted Monday, July 24, 2006 2:03 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I got a bunch of notifications on this thread a while ago. If I missed replying to anyone, my apologies. I'm trying to dig out after moving back Stateside.

Steve Miller
Post #296883
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse