Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

SQL 2000 to SQL 2005: Where have all the old features gone? Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:38 AM
"improve they're typing skills"
Not to nitpick, but that's a pretty funny clause to have a typo in.
Post #266201
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:06 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:31 AM

Apparently, the first (and only) CTP of SQL 2005 SP1 has just been posted:
http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/03/16/552349.aspx

Post #266216
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:25 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:35 AM
> Never mind the features, why is SQL Management Studio so pathetically slow!
> Even if you put the -nosplash switch on the SQLWB.EXE it takes an age to load.

Is it just loading you find is slow? I've found actual interaction with database to be faster, in particular things like right clicking on a server to select connect from the context menu - in enterprise manager you would be waiting quite a few seconds beofore the context menu appeared (presumably it was interrogating the server??!?), but in SSMS the menu is there straight away. Other operations seem to be as fast or faster.

> How the hell do you show the contents of a system stored procedure?

Am I missing something? Don't you just locate it under the system stored procedures subfolder of stored procedures, and right click on it and select Modify? Bit of a misnomer if all you want to do is look at it, but it still has the same effect?

Does anyone know how to add a column to a table in a merge publication? You used to bring up the properties of the publication, go to filter columns, find the table and click the add column button, but filter columns seems to have disappeared. Can obviously do it via sp_repladdcolumn, but it would be nice to have the option to do it via the GUI as well.

Post #266238
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:42 PM
Just to nitpick a bit (it was a nice article), but last I heard the systables are being depricated, as well, in favor of the system views. As such you would want to do away with the calls to sysobjects:

SELECT name FROM sysobjects
should be
SELECT name FROM sys.objects

and

Select crdate as DateCreated
From dbo.sysobjects
should be
Select create_date as DateCreated
From sys.objects
Post #266280
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:56 PM

Alex, I certainly agree that SQL 2005 is a new product, and a shift in paradigm. I even agree, at the risk of being strangled by other dbas, with doing away with some of the old commands and features that arn't terribly useful. I guess what I was trying to get at is: why take away something that's useful, and not replace it with anything? Like bookmark, for example... But that's another story

Post #266291
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

John, I was talking about connecting to sql 2000, in which case sys tables are still there. U r right, in 2005 you'd want to use DMVs.

Just to nitpick a bit (it was a nice article), but last I heard the systables are being depricated, as well, in favor of the system views. As such you would want to do away with the calls to sysobjects:

SELECT name FROM sysobjects
should be
SELECT name FROM sys.objects

and

Select crdate as DateCreated
From dbo.sysobjects
should be
Select create_date as DateCreated
From sys.objects

Post #266306
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I'm the gui one, will benifit from it the most I guess
Post #266310
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:25 AM

Nice article.

External tools also don't work the same in sql2k5.  Managing 100+ sql server environments, using the [SRV] parameter in enterprise manager's external tools is handy for accessing explorer, server manager & event viewers on current sql server environments.  Even though sql2005 books online says it works the same, it doesn't work in management studio.

Polling is controllable in sql 2k enterprise manager, but no control in sql2k5 management studio.  With several DBAs having management studio open with 100+ servers registered = a lot of clutter in security event logs, unneccessary network traffic & overhead on workstations.

Post #266327
Posted Friday, March 31, 2006 9:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:13 AM
Has anybody found an easy way to migrate registered servers between 2K and 2005 ? - i have a couple of hundred servers plus groups and i am not looking forward to setting them up by hand...
Post #270225
Posted Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:59 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:16 AM
This is easy.

Open the Registered Servers window in SSMS
Right-click on "Database Engine" and choose "Previously Registered Servers"
It will ask you some questions and pull in any SEM registered servers you have on the same computer.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

Post #285194
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse