Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««2627282930

Eliminating Cursors Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:30 PM
RBarryYoung (2/18/2010)

1. Dynamic SQL is not the problem, Injection IS.
2. SQL Injection uses Dynamic SQL, but the two are far from synonymous.
3. Dynamic SQL is just a facility used for Injection, Client code is another.
4. It IS possible to write most needed dynamic SQL without Injection, and usually this is not hard.
5. Dynamic SQL is as safe as anything else in SQL, *IF*, you never Inject user-supplied text into the SQL command.
6. The principal means of doing 4 & 5 is to validate user-supplied text by replacing it with server-supplied text using some concrete table or function to generate valid-only text (in the context for which it is to be used).
7. The permissions problem with dynamic SQL that you alluded to earlier is only a problem for owner-chaining permissions. The stronger and safer privilege elevation techniques of either Impersonation or Certificates do not suffer from this problem and are preferred for Dynamic SQL in any event.

Heh... I especially like observation #1 above. Might be time for you to write a new article, Barry. I've had people argue that any form of dynamic SQL is wrong because of potential security risks... I'd love to point them to a really good article on the subject with the simple instructions of "Read this and see why you're wrong."

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #868985
Posted Friday, February 19, 2010 11:11 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Heh. I did do a presentation on it. And I posted the presentation kit, including SQL code examples and Client code at my blog, here:http://movingsql.com/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=pa1HXFdJ5Bs%3d&tabid=125&mid=911 But, I never did get around to writing the article I intended.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #869572
Posted Friday, February 19, 2010 11:38 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Here is one of several of my Blog posts that talks about this: http://www.movingsql.com/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=125&EntryID=190. In fact if you go my Blog site and click on the "Dynamic SQL" topic you'll find almost a dozen articles on this subject.

Post #869576
Posted Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:30 PM
Very cool set of links, Barry. Great blog site on your part, as well! Other than the awesome content (haven't explored it all, yet, of course) is that it's easy on the eyeballs. There's just something to be said about a traditional white background with dark letters instead of the other way around.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #869861
Posted Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:41 PM

SSCrazy Eights

Jeff Moden (2/21/2010)
Very cool set of links, Barry. Great blog site on your part, as well! Other than the awesome content (haven't explored it all, yet, of course) is that it's easy on the eyeballs. There's just something to be said about a traditional white background with dark letters instead of the other way around.

Heh, yeah, Grant's wife really punctured my bloated ego about my previous site style, so I changed it to something a little more restrained.

Post #869893
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««2627282930

Permissions Expand / Collapse