Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

An Elegant ETL Solution: Except for Lost Data Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:23 PM

splitting the dataflow with a multicast doesn't tell me that the update or insert was successful, and since there is no success output on the destination there is nothing to merge it back in with to only update the "stageFlag" on a successful update or insert.

I will attempt to understand and consider your other suggestion later.  Performance is a factor, of course.

In the meantime, I have unzipped the files I sent you and run the solution and it works just fine for me, too.  Which means to me that I probably do not have the offending code captured unless I moved it.  I had three versions from Friday that got deleted between 11:42 and 12:47 today (apparently) by something running on our network.

Cheers,

david russell

Post #242094
Posted Monday, December 5, 2005 5:53 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:23 PM

"Also, the article seems to describe a classic Slowly Changing Dimension scenario - and SSIS includes a wizard that builds those processes very easily including full handling of inserts and updates. The flows built by this wizard can be easily customized too."

It's nice to learn something new every day.  Perhaps nobody told me that I was coding a "classic"; but I searched BOL to find the Wizard (it's in the Slowly Changing Dimension Task) and ran it to create a solution in about five minutes... another five minutes to tweak it to include the data conversion from Unicode.  I only included 3 columns vs. the 22 in my original creation; and no error handling or updating of the stageFlag; but it was faster than anything I have done so far.

There is still the issue that the OLE-DB destination does not have a success output flow, so there is nothing immediate to trigger updating the stageFlag on inserts; but the OLE-DB commands both have them.  I do not yet understand the implications of inferred member updates; but that will be ten more minutes of reading.

Perhaps we have part two and part three of this "series" of articles

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

david russell

Post #242115
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse