Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Comparison of SQL Server 2005 Editions Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:48 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/comparisonofsqlserver2005editions.asp

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Post #164291
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 8:20 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 10:41 AM
Thanks for the information.  

Post #164456
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 8:37 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 2:06 PM

Humm....No more developer addition.  Where does that leave developers for having a cheap copy to do development work?  I haven't looked at the Express version for 2005.  Will the Express version have enough functionality for developers deploying Standard or Enterprise solutions?

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.sqlserverexamples.com
Post #164462
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 8:53 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:44 AM

Overall this looks like good news.  I am disappointed that the Report Builder is only available with Enterprise version.  We do have 4 or 5 Enterprise Edition installations now and have software assurance so we should be able to upgrade to 2005 without additional cost. 

I assume that if you are using Reporting Services on an 2005 Enterprise Edition installation that you can still run reports against databases residing on standard edition?

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #164471
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 10:42 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 8:47 AM
Greg,
I believe the Developer Edition will have all of the features of the Enterprise Edition, but with the development only licensing restrictions, as per SQL Server 2000.

Jon
Post #164501
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 11:07 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Hi Greg, there will still be a dirt cheap developer edition just like SQL Server 2000's model is today.

Brian Knight
Post #164503
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 12:52 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 2:06 PM

It's good to see there will still be a developer addition.  I just didn't see it on the posts from Microsoft on 2/24 or your article, so I was just wondering.  Any idea where  I might see as note (web page) from Microsoft about the developer addition.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.sqlserverexamples.com
Post #164524
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 12:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 1, 2006 10:37 AM

A main difference of SQL Express compared to the other (non free) editions is the lack of the SQL Server Agent providing professional
job scheduling and other goodies. Example for making backup and keeping track in history records, all from within one single package.

When upgrading MSDE to SQL Express all this nice stuff is gone.
There is not easy alternative to this. There are ways to use the
Windows scheduler but ... the development, maintenance, tracing is completely different. Developers will find a new challenge to
package all this but in the end End users and Customers
(no system administrators) will not be happy at all.

You should never remove functionality from a product that
is already established well in the field. The result will be that
MSDE 2000 will still be used for several years, even for new customers.

I see no reason why you increase the 'freeware' limit from 2GB
to 4GB. If you need more than 2GB disk, you simply buy the
non-free versions, and the customer understands.

regards

Post #164526
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 1:23 PM
SSCommitted

I saw it initially in an interview with Tom Rizzo. Also, the beta version that's being distributed today is the Developer Edition.

Brian Knight
Post #164532
Posted Monday, February 28, 2005 3:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:53 AM

Brian, thanks. Good summary. Still need to know more:

What is BAV saying about Express Edition without Agent? What about the backup job for example? OSQL with Windows Scheduler???

Abour Reports: Developer Edition 2005 Beta contains BI Development Studio. Will it continue to contain it?

Personal Edition: did not hear about this one in 2005. The advantage of Personal Edition in 2000 is that it is licensed as a client. It is a counterpart of the Standard Edition for Development. We use it a lot. Do you think it will be there in 2005?

Report Server itself: currently in 2000 is free with Standard Edition. Do you think it still will be provided with Standard?

Thanks,

Yelena

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Post #164559
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse