Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

export table Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
Feel I'm starting to repeat my self on the issue

Using the RFC-4180, commas and double quotes within a column/field/attribute are not a problem. The problem is more that many of the tools available are not compliant to this RFC, that in my opinion is what needs to be fixed. Switching from one delimiter to another is a form of procrastination, not a solution.
Post #1607199
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 5:20 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 3:36 PM
Eirikur Eiriksson (8/25/2014)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! Me too!

Switching from one delimiter to another is a form of procrastination, not a solution.

I'll have to register my strong disagreement with that statement. For example, TSV is so much easier to implement that switching the delimiter to TABS IS one of the better solutions. The CSV standard that you've cited is fraught with vertical (inconsistent) exceptions that cause a world of hurt for those that have to import it. TSV solves most of those problems, especially in the world of BULK INSERT, quickly and easily.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1607298
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 9:42 PM
SSCrazy

Jeff Moden (8/25/2014)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! Me too!

Switching from one delimiter to another is a form of procrastination, not a solution.

I'll have to register my strong disagreement with that statement. For example, TSV is so much easier to implement that switching the delimiter to TABS IS one of the better solutions. The CSV standard that you've cited is fraught with vertical (inconsistent) exceptions that cause a world of hurt for those that have to import it. TSV solves most of those problems, especially in the world of BULK INSERT, quickly and easily.

Until a field/record/column contains TAB characters then oops lets switch to PIPE....

Post #1607320
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:00 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Jeff Moden (8/25/2014)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! Me too!

Until a field/record/column contains TAB characters then oops lets switch to PIPE....

True enough... that's when then sometimes find out that they have both TABs and PIPEs in their data. It would be a lot simpler if we went back 40 years and used the correct ASCII characters for text data transmissions... characters 28 through 31 in the ASCII table.
http://www.asciitable.com/

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1610347
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:17 PM
SSCrazy

Jeff Moden (9/3/2014)
Jeff Moden (8/25/2014)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! Me too!

True enough... that's when then sometimes find out that they have both TABs and PIPEs in their data. It would be a lot simpler if we went back 40 years and used the correct ASCII characters for text data transmissions... characters 28 through 31 in the ASCII table.
http://www.asciitable.com/

Sarting to look like a good case for XML

BTW one should not need that ASCII reference, one must know this by heart like any other alphabet
Post #1610350
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

I didn't know there was ever a "good" case for XML.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1610352
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:36 PM
SSCrazy

Jeff Moden (9/3/2014)
I didn't know there was ever a "good" case for XML.

Well now you know as you've just made one
Post #1610354
Posted Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Heh... I don't believe so. I know a lot of people really like XML for what it does but I hate it for what it does. For example, how many bytes does it take to pass a single 10 digit negative integer using XML... 18.

<i>-1234567890</i>

How many bytes does it take to pass the same thing in an encoded ASCII file? 4... and that includes the sign.

How many bytes does it take to pass a single digit using XML? 8.

<i>-1234567890</i>

How many bytes does it take to pass a single digit in plain text ASCII? 1.

Heh... and to think people were worried about the extra 2 bytes to store 4 digit years just a couple of decades ago.

Speaking of that, the good thing about XML (and HTML, for that matter) is network hardware had to get a whole lot faster, memory had to get a whole lot larger, disks had to get a whole lot bigger, and CPUs had to get a whole lot faster to handle tag bloat, de-entitization, and shredding.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1610360
Posted Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:01 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:23 PM
Nita Reddy (8/18/2014)
I want to export one table but text contains ',' so can I use double " ? I don't see option when I select delimiter how should I do it.?

Which tool are you using to implement the export?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1611187
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse