Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

One a Week Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:05 PM
Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)
The only problem I have with SQLSaturdays is that they are - obviously - on a Saturday
The weekends are off limits as I reserve them fully for my family.

Here in Europe we don't have that many SQLSaturdays (one in Lissabon, one somewhere in Eastern Europe, sometimes one in the Netherlands and one in the Nordic countries), so I am not missing that much.

Luckily our own Belgian SQL Server event, the SQL Server Days, is always in the week so I have no trouble attending (and speaking)

Some are on Fridays at times. Both Hawaii and Minnesota have had events on Fri. If you want one then, organize it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1597387
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

mary jones-135458 (7/29/2014)
Kudos Steve!!!
Love You!!!
Mom

Post #1597397
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Jesus Cardenas Mercado (7/29/2014)
hi Steve, What should I do to get one of this events in our city?, Monterrey, Mexico.

http://www.sqlsaturday.com/gettingstarted.aspx

Post #1597398
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Andrew Kernodle (7/29/2014)

I'm a little sad that there's not many SQL Saturdays near where I live, though. The cost of air travel is a little high on my wages, but I'm budgeting here and there to attend some more. I'll probably try to make it to the one in Raleigh in September, and I'll see where I can shuffle some funds around to get to other ones. The learning opportunities are amazing, and I'm thoroughly indebted to all of the organizers for making possibilities like this so widely available for no cost at all

Where are you?

Organize one: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/gettingstarted.aspx. It's not that hard, and it doesn't have to be a huge event. I've been to events with 60-80 people, and they were great. If you can get a room or two, that's fine. Make it a small event, get a couple friends to help, and I'm sure you'll get speakers to come and no shortage of people that want some training.

I'd like to see more, smaller event, that serve 100 people, cost <$1500, preferably < $1000, and happen more often.

Post #1597401
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:50 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:03 PM
I'm in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There's actually a .NET usergroup that meets here monthly, and this month they had Kevin Boles here presenting. Missed the session entirely, unfortunately, thanks to work troubles that required me to stay late, but they could be a viable launchpad for getting a local SQL Saturday group going. Could be worth doing some asking if/when I make it to next month's meeting .

-
Post #1597405
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

That's an easy place to organize something.

There are Memphis and Nashville SQL groups that hold events and they'd come support you (I think). Huntsville, Atlanta, etc would probably get a few people and speakers up

Get a few .NET people to talk their side of database work, find a room, I'm sure you could get a fun event. I'd love to come if you plan far in advance.

Post #1597414
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:13 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:55 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/29/2014)
The only problem I have with SQLSaturdays is that they are - obviously - on a Saturday
The weekends are off limits as I reserve them fully for my family.

Here in Europe we don't have that many SQLSaturdays (one in Lissabon, one somewhere in Eastern Europe, sometimes one in the Netherlands and one in the Nordic countries), so I am not missing that much.

Luckily our own Belgian SQL Server event, the SQL Server Days, is always in the week so I have no trouble attending (and speaking)

Some are on Fridays at times. Both Hawaii and Minnesota have had events on Fri. If you want one then, organize it.

Our local SQL Server user group (which is a PASS chapter if I am not mistaken) organizes the SQL Server Days yearly (1 day precon, 1 day sessions).
From time to time they organize some evening sessions, but lately they seem to have trouble finding speakers.

edit: I wish I could go to the Hawaii one

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1597415
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:28 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:31 AM
From time to time they organize some evening sessions, but lately they seem to have trouble finding speakers.

Are you open to remote speakers?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1597425
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:33 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:03 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/29/2014)
That's an easy place to organize something.

There are Memphis and Nashville SQL groups that hold events and they'd come support you (I think). Huntsville, Atlanta, etc would probably get a few people and speakers up

Get a few .NET people to talk their side of database work, find a room, I'm sure you could get a fun event. I'd love to come if you plan far in advance.

Haha, I actually started tossing the idea around in my head . "Bah, like I could actually manage to organize an event like that! I'd have to get the speakers together... Wait, that wouldn't actually be too difficult... Well, there's expenses! ... Wait, I could manage that if I could get some local support... Well, there's the planning time! ...Actually, I could block out some time on the weekends for a month or so to put ideas together..."

As crazy as it seemed two hours ago, I might just give this a shot . I'll see if I can meet with the .NET team for a month or two, gauge their interest, and see if they'd be willing to partner with me. No idea how things will play out from there, but it feels like it would be fun, not to mention a good learning experience as far as organization goes!

-
Post #1597431
Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:34 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:55 AM
GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

Are you open to remote speakers?

I'm not a member of the board, but I'll let them know you are open for such things.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1597433
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse