Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

Frustration with Bad Design Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:28 AM
Whether it's a frustrated IT professional wanting to raise awareness to an issue, or a law enforcement officer serving a search warrant, folks need to put their emotions aside and respect the process. Don't put innocent people in harms way just to make a point; that's not being heroic; that's being a villian.
Post #1597823
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:45 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:28 AM
Post #1597825
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:49 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:24 AM
Eric M Russell (7/30/2014)
Whether it's a frustrated IT professional wanting to raise awareness to an issue, or a law enforcement officer serving a search warrant, folks need to put their emotions aside and respect the process. Don't put innocent people in harms way just to make a point; that's not being heroic; that's being a villian.

I agree with you. If the process fails, try to find another, reputable process to follow. For example, if the company doesn't respond, and it relates to a law being broke, contact the authorities. If it isn't illegal, but people are at risk, maybe it is appropriate to contact the media. Maybe.

The hard decision is when you work for the government, and the government is violating the law. There are no easy answers there. Hopefully this type of corruption can be exposed without putting people at risk.

Dave
Post #1597985
Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 10:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:22 AM
It appears my wife took your advice before you provided it. She reported issues so often that her immediate supervisor demanded that she no longer go above the supervisor's head with any work-related issues. She was basically gagged. My wife responded by quitting.
Post #1599336
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:55 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
GoofyGuy (7/30/2014)
djackson wrote:

But that is how Nazi governments work. "We'll show those evil citizens not to mess with us!"

It's definitely a slippery slope, Dave. I don't have the intelligence or the experience to know exactly where to draw the line on State power, but I do know when I see excessive force being used.

I'm not sure that you can rely on any one individual body to maintain any kind of line forever in perpetuaty for while an organisation may start out as legitimate its mandate may be corrupted.

Its a long running problem written about by the Romans among others.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

or

Who guards the guards?

I think the best that you can do is set up a variety of bodies with comparitive but opposing viewpoints and let them watch each other. Hence the UK with the Lords the Commons , the monarchy, the law and freedom of the press.

Someone steps out of line it is for the others to step up.
It is always worrying when governments legislate to increase their powers while decreasing the powers of opposing bodies. Stalin did it completely
Post #1600143
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:26 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:28 PM
Dalkeith wrote:

I think the best that you can do is set up a variety of bodies with comparitive but opposing viewpoints and let them watch each other. Hence the UK with the Lords, the Commons ...

The Lords is being 'reformed' to the point its political viewpoints will likely be little different from those of the Commons.
Post #1600288
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:34 AM
GoofyGuy (8/6/2014)
Dalkeith wrote:

I think the best that you can do is set up a variety of bodies with comparitive but opposing viewpoints and let them watch each other. Hence the UK with the Lords, the Commons ...

The Lords is being 'reformed' to the point its political viewpoints will likely be little different from those of the Commons.

Unfortunately quite true. Balance sacrificed in the name of democracy.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1600303
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse