Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

MAXDOP = 1 ?! Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 6:43 AM
Everyone thank you for your replies.
These are the exact same things we tried to explain prior to being sent the Quote in our original post.

Needless to say we are not impressed with their opinions.
Thanks again for validating what we had already discovered to be true.
Sometimes it is good to get a second opinion.
We appreciate yours.
Post #1593763
Posted Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
From what I've seen, Grant Fritchey's recommendations for changing the default threshold of parallelism are much more effective than changing the whole server to use MAXDOP 1. It keeps queries where parallelism costs more than the benefit from using parallelism while still allowing queries that do benefit from it to use it.

Of course, the vendor probably hasn't heard of Grant Fritchey or Gail Shaw, either.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1593891
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014 7:35 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 1:51 PM
Jeff Moden (7/17/2014)
From what I've seen, Grant Fritchey's recommendations for changing the default threshold of parallelism are much more effective than changing the whole server to use MAXDOP 1. It keeps queries where parallelism costs more than the benefit from using parallelism while still allowing queries that do benefit from it to use it.

Of course, the vendor probably hasn't heard of Grant Fritchey or Gail Shaw, either.

They might have heard of Santa though.

But yes, changing cost threshold seems more effective imho than a carte blanche change to maxdop to 1.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1594049
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014 8:12 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
SQLRNNR (7/18/2014)
Jeff Moden (7/17/2014)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1594077
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014 9:07 AM

Old Hand

Jeff Moden (7/18/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/18/2014)
Jeff Moden (7/17/2014)

You guys are the best!
I will say one thing. They have heard of me now. They have also heard what my CIO's angry voice sounds like.

What truly matters is I have heard of all of you. I make a new account after each opportunity that matches my new work email. I have been posting to and reading from posts here since 2006.
All of you have helped me over the years. I wanted to say I appreciate it.
Post #1594111
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014 9:08 AM

Old Hand

Still Laughing.....

Santa
bwahahahahaha

FYI - One of them has not... LeH
Post #1594113
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014 10:37 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:37 AM
I know your pain.
I have worked with 2 of the biggest EMR vendors in the US in a DBD/report writer role in a hospital environment and have been..uhm..less than impressed with their SQL (DBA specific or language specific) abilities.

We did a lot of smiling and waving.
Post #1594155
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse