Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

One Size Does Not Fit All Expand / Collapse
Author

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:02 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item One Size Does Not Fit All

Derik Hammer
@SQLHammer
www.sqlhammer.com
Post #1592887
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:06 PM
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple--and wrong."
H.L. Mencken, "The Divine Afflatus"
Post #1592892
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:41 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:49 AM
Living this out right now in a way.

After watching our Facilities people cringe every time someone asked them for a report on repairs and maintenance, I finally walked into their office and said, "Go find some facilities maintenance and repair packages that make sense and do what you need them to do. I'll help you with the technical part of it." Eventually we found a very nice third-party cloud-based solution that has them (and our management and accounting people) turning handsprings. It's not perfect, and I'm working on integrating the data with our other systems, but it's revolutionizing our Facilities department.

They had been using one of those "one-size-fits-the-bottom-line" solutions which was terrible and not even made for the purpose of repair and maintenance (it tracked certification and validation - which is entirely different). One day when the main office discovered the current version of that software was going out of support, a huge search began for a replacement. One of the first things out of the mouths of executive managment was - you guessed it - we want a "one-size-fits-our-bottom-line" solution.

And even though we offered the solution we had procured, the leading candidate right now is the newer version of the same crappy package they had before even though it will take a year and a half just to implement it and we're humming along nicely with our solution.

Talk about the defintion of insanity...

Post #1593005
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:21 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:06 PM
I agree, there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution in the world of Enterprise Systems. I have this long experience where I have seen the pendulum swing back and forth from "Solve the problem" to "Standardize Everything". The result is a never ending morass of opportunities that keep IT people employed and often frustrated. What we need is more experience on the bench, a practicle approach to managing day-to-day operations and a management oversight that understand the value of well run IT information systems that have true value and contribution to the bottom line instead of the endless stream of expenditures percieved as "fixing what's wrong" which has no real value to the executive in the corner office.
Post #1593017
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
crussell-931424 (7/16/2014)
I can't count the number of times management has presented me with an assignment which is the solution to some problem they have. Once implemented and they realize the failure we end up asking what it is they are attempting to solve so that we can develop a workable solution.

Why is it that the question "What are you trying to solve?" is many times the last question asked?

Tom
Post #1593030
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:14 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
On the line of George Orwell, "one-size-fits-all as not all sizes are equal"
Post #1593035
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:56 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:00 PM
What is the most extreme case? You cannot lose a singe transaction when the earthquake hits.
Write up a solution that handles that, then scale out to EVERY table in EVERY server.
When they see the price tag, they may decide that one size does not fit all.
Then again, they may want all of your test data retrievable.
They may not be the IRS, so losing things won't be acceptable.
Post #1593072
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:38 AM

Grasshopper

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 11:22 AM
I appreciate everybody's comments. It seems obvious that this is a problem that we all experience regardless of the industry or product that we support.

swwg69 hit the nail on the head by mentioning price. Often managers look at the price tag of the data tier as an aggregate of the hardware costs and software licensing costs. But there are management costs which need to be nailed down and communicated when moving to a more complicated architecture and then there are costs that are much harder to relate to currency. Those costs include development process limitations and deployment risks. With deployment risks also comes potential down time and bugs being injected.

In the end, if a dollar value can be put on the decision then we can become more successful at educating those who do not hold our specialty.

Best Regards,
Derik Hammer
www.sqlhammer.com
Post #1593218
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:21 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:15 AM
OCTom (7/16/2014)
I can't count the number of times management has presented me with an assignment which is the solution to some problem they have. Once implemented and they realize the failure we end up asking what it is they are attempting to solve so that we can develop a workable solution.

Why is it that the question "What are you trying to solve?" is many times the last question asked?

Tom

It could be that once people understand what they are asking for others can put a cost on doing it, or those who understand the data and business model can tell the requestor that the data is not there to solve it.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1593299
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:25 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
Miles Neale (7/16/2014)
OCTom (7/16/2014)

Tom

It could be that once people understand what they are asking for others can put a cost on doing it, or those who understand the data and business model can tell the requestor that the data is not there to solve it.

Sounds like the greatest consolidation and correlation problem ever, how to combine all the pinhole views into a perspective, worked on this for years and still it's a challenge.
Post #1593302
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse