Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Paying It Forward Expand / Collapse
Author

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:10 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Paying It Forward
Post #1590585
Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:49 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 3:42 AM
I agree with the author. No words for people who are not willing to share their ideas as they don't belong to this world. Are they sure about they haven't stole any ideas from anybody??

The below lines applicable to anybody

"known is a drop.. unknown is an ocean"

The advantage of internet is sharing things to save our counterparts who might be in need of a valuable suggestion which will save him and his job and the other guy gets a satisfaction when somebody thanks from other part of the world.
Post #1590593
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:47 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:16 AM
Ouch exactly - there is a reason why open source is steadily gaining ground - the wisdom of the masses always out trumps individuals in the long term.

If you can't beat them you may as well join them.
Post #1590640
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:20 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Today @ 3:36 AM
1. I think people that steal others ideas get found out - you can tell people that really know their stuff from people who don't.

2. I also think the online community is becoming more expectant of proper referencing and credit. We're in a new normal where crowd knowledge is a standard model, where we expect to share ideas and build knowledge collaboratively.

3. The true guru's out there are those that share freely. They deserve all the credit that they get.

4. I always feel pretty junior compared to what I read and so I don't blog myself (though I am thinking about it for the future), but if I do, the primary reason would be to help me learn the concepts more rigorously, followed by the hope that it'd help someone else (just one would be enough), and also to help network with peers.

Can't believe anyone would really see it differently.
Post #1590656
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:29 AM
karthik babu (7/8/2014)
I agree with the author. No words for people who are not willing to share their ideas as they don't belong to this world. Are they sure about they haven't stole any ideas from anybody??

The advantage of internet is sharing things to save our counterparts who might be in need of a valuable suggestion which will save him and his job and the other guy gets a satisfaction when somebody thanks from other part of the world.

Isn't that a bit harsh? I know several people who break out in sweats when asked to do a presentation. They have a real fear of public speaking. They also fear wrath if they contribute to a blog and make an error. I think that maybe a bit more compassion and understanding for those who don't contribute. You don't know why they are not contributing.

Tom
Post #1590695
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:28 AM
I think there is a difference between someone with a fear of public speaking and those unwilling to share because they are afraid others might "steal" their ideas. At some point we all hit the web to find the answers to some puzzling issue we are having and to say you don't want someone stealing your idea's is to be a hypocrite. Even those with a fear of public speaking usually answer question after question from junior developers within their companies.
Post #1590707
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:52 AM
That same day, I was talking with another DBA about if he might be interested in creating a presentation for an upcoming SQL Saturday, and his response was (paraphrased) "Why do I want to put the effort into that just to have someone steal my ideas from the slides?"

The whole point of a user group or SQLSaturday presentation is for the presenter to share ideas, most of which he "stole" from somewhere else. If the audience doesn't walk away with ("steal") a few new ideas, then the presentation was a waste of time.
Post #1590711
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:13 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 9:45 AM
IMHO, the mere presence of the Internet in our world has made it difficult for any original thought to be claimed or any glory to be garnered from your knowledge. Meaning, before the Internet, when I heard something profound from someone I used to think, "Wow, either that guy is really smart or he spends a LOT of time in the library". Today, I simply assume, "she probably 'googled' that". So, to me, Andy, you have the right approach. Do it for the gratifying reward of helping others...a win-win situation as they get your help you get that warm fuzzy feeling that comes with helping. Thanks for writing something in Steve's absence. For me, it was well received.
Post #1590722
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:33 AM
This brings to mind the old saw: "Good programmers write code. Great programmers steal it."

Maybe we could add the corollary: "Awesome programmers share it."

Post #1590729
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:27 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:10 PM
OCTom (7/9/2014)
karthik babu (7/8/2014)

Isn't that a bit harsh? I know several people who break out in sweats when asked to do a presentation. They have a real fear of public speaking. They also fear wrath if they contribute to a blog and make an error. I think that maybe a bit more compassion and understanding for those who don't contribute. You don't know why they are not contributing.

Tom

@OCTom - I completely understand that some people have a fear of public speaking, or think they don't write well, or just don't have time for one reason or another - I don't fault any of that, and as I mentioned my own blogging and presenting efforts slide up and down with my family's needs.

As to the fear of the wrath of others I have found quite the contrary - when I first started blogging on my site and then when I first was syndicated on SQL Server Central, I received some very friendly and helpful comments from some members of the #sqlfamily that I never though would ever have time to read my stuff...and that encouragement is what led to me writing the editorial that we are discussing

I don't want anyone to think that the point of this article is to say "if you don't blog and present then you aren't trying hard enough and are part of the problem" - far from it. However I do want to highlight the benefits (to my eye) of speaking and writing and call out those who think there is no point sharing because they want to hoard knowledge - as several posters have called out, there is very little original knowledge - almost everything you know was originally from someone else's original research and documentation.

So spread it around in whichever way you are comfortable - write, speak, even just help the person across from you in the cubes - it will help you as well!
Post #1590731
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse