Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Laptop Dreams Expand / Collapse
Author
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 6:18 AM
Surface Pros would a nice machine for me if I lived in a strictly Microsoft world. I'm a multi-platform, multi-database developer, so it's easier to find a good laptop that Linux runs on, and relegate Windows to a VM.
Post #1574754
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:51 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:20 PM
BWFC (5/27/2014)
Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

My wife's the same. I've got a smaller, lighter mid-range compact that I imagine is much easier to take pictures with than a tablet. If you spent less on\didn't buy the tablet and bought a half-decent camera with the savings, I think you'd be happier with the pictures. It's a few minutes' extra effort to upload the pictures to the tablet but in the long run the results are worth it. A camera is also easier to carry about and can probably be brought into use quicker. Of course, there are other arguments for buying the tablet but I don't think its use as a camera should be one of them. It may be a consideration for a phone but for me it would be very low down the list for any kind of tablet.

+1
For pictures we just take the real camera.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1574853
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:52 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Gary Varga (5/27/2014)
People using the tablet as a camera/video recorder reminds me of the comedian Dom Jolly's sketch "I'm on the phone". It can be a variant of wearing a sombrero at the cinema.

hahaha

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1574855
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:56 AM

SSC-Insane

I just recently played through this exercise. I was at SQL Saturday Atlanta and my laptop decided to start acting finicky. I have fixed that problem on that laptop but it hastened the pace to getting a new laptop.

I settled on the Dell M3800 because it is lightweight. I could put plenty of storage in it and it is configurable up to 16GB memory. So far the responsiveness of the laptop is very satisfying.

I had been thinking I would go with the Surface Pro at 8GB, but it was perpetually out of stock and it cost about the same as the Dell laptop or even the Yogi from Lenovo.

The only reason (at this point) for me to get a Surface is as a lightweight backup presentation device.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1574859
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:38 AM
Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

Not sure "spoiled" goes with "willing to lug"

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1574891
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:38 AM
Ken Welsh (5/26/2014)
Steve,

If you got a USB "wireless router on a stick" you should be able to connect the tablet to the BRIX quite easily.

Just a thought...

Been thinking about that

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1574893
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse