Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Laptop Dreams Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:52 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Laptop Dreams

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1574326
Posted Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:05 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:24 AM
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?
Post #1574439
Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 2:34 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:19 PM
I am in mid-laptop ownership (as in it has at least a couple of years suitable performance left etc.). This is fortunate as I too would be in a quandary. Also, I can do almost everything with my phone. Videoing and taking photographs is less of an issue as I am SOOOOO bad at both that I always end up wondering why I bothered.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1574483
Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 5:46 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 1:31 PM
Personal pet peeve of mine... really don't like people who record with a table. It obstruct the view of people behind you. It's a tablet, not a camera.

But otherwise the surface gets the job done

Miguel
Post #1574502
Posted Monday, May 26, 2014 3:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:24 PM
Steve,

If you got a USB "wireless router on a stick" you should be able to connect the tablet to the BRIX quite easily.

Just a thought...
Post #1574607
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:48 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

My wife's the same. I've got a smaller, lighter mid-range compact that I imagine is much easier to take pictures with than a tablet. If you spent less on\didn't buy the tablet and bought a half-decent camera with the savings, I think you'd be happier with the pictures. It's a few minutes' extra effort to upload the pictures to the tablet but in the long run the results are worth it. A camera is also easier to carry about and can probably be brought into use quicker. Of course, there are other arguments for buying the tablet but I don't think its use as a camera should be one of them. It may be a consideration for a phone but for me it would be very low down the list for any kind of tablet.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher
Post #1574680
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:23 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:19 PM
People using the tablet as a camera/video recorder reminds me of the comedian Dom Jolly's sketch "I'm on the phone". It can be a variant of wearing a sombrero at the cinema.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1574695
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:31 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:28 PM
I need a new laptop myself, but not even considering a surface.

I have an iPad which serves the tablet role just fine. My requirements for a laptop include being able to run full SQL Server, be a presentation platform and being able to play MMOs and Steam games and, to be honest, I don't like working on a small screen.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1574698
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:44 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
GilaMonster (5/27/2014)
I need a new laptop myself, but not even considering a surface.

I have an iPad which serves the tablet role just fine. My requirements for a laptop include being able to run full SQL Server, be a presentation platform and being able to play MMOs and Steam games and, to be honest, I don't like working on a small screen.

They're definitely very different beasts. There are things at the moment that a tablet just can't do. If its main use is going to be checking emails, creating the odd document and using the internet then maybe a tablet is right. For 'proper' work it's a laptop all the way.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher
Post #1574705
Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:23 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 6:35 AM
I love my Surface 2 Pro, and am even adapting to Windows 8. And the Power Cover is a great, easily detachable keyboard and second battery. I used to use a blue tooth keyboard, which was also pretty good.
Post #1574748
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse