Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

What are you worth? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:21 PM
SQLRNNR (5/21/2014)
Aeterna (5/19/2014)
I'd also suggest going over the contract in detail and be prepared to reject any job offer if you don't like the contractual terms. Companies will then either refuse to renegotiate (in which case, your decision is right), will explain the terms, or will amend the terms following a renegotiation.

It gives you a flavour of how they will deal with any future concerns you might have regarding salaries, working time, etc.

Very good point.

In addition to nitpicking the contract and asking for what you are worth in dollars and cents, I recommend negotiating the benefits. If you can negotiate and extra week or two of starting vacation, it could be a very worthwhile opportunity even if it is less money than you had hoped to get.

Negotiating starting vacation? I've never heard of that. I just assumed that whatever it was, it was fixed in stone.

Rod
Post #1574306
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2014 8:05 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:21 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/22/2014)
Joe Zonum (5/21/2014)
I'd like to add my 2 cent for what its worth. I was recently laid off from a job I held for 10+ years. I had a good relationship with my old boss and later found out why. My salary was the main factor. Turns out I made a lot more than the other dba's I worked with. With that said, I feel I earned every penny I got. I was very surprised to hear how much less other dba's are willing to take to do the same job. I am happy to report, I got a job within a month making the same salary but with better benefits.

I was always of the mind set that if I don't ask, I will not receive. Thru the years, I made it my mission to get yearly increase and then some. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheels gets the oil. "Squeak, Squeak"

so what are you worth? As much as you are willing to take to do the job. "Your salary may vary"!

I've worried about this before and I try to make more over time, but not so much that I get to the point where I may exceed my value. Or the value someone else can provide for less. It's certainly a fine line.

I want to make a point off of what you just said here, Steve. My salary was fine back in 2008 (when it was last updated). Its the situation which has changed. I've mentioned this before, but our operating budget has shrunk nearly 60% since 2008. A salary that's fine for the work that I do, only became not fine when the budget kept shrinking. My point is that a salary that's fine today may become "unfine" tomorrow, due to things that you have no control over and more important no way of being able to predict.

Rod
Post #1574307
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:10 PM
Doctor Who 2 (5/24/2014)

Negotiating starting vacation? I've never heard of that. I just assumed that whatever it was, it was fixed in stone.

I haven't had good luck with this at larger companies, but at smaller ones I've been able to get this changed.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1574313
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:07 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:54 AM
Doctor Who 2 (5/24/2014)

Its definitely worth doing when the dollar figure gets close.

Even if the policies are set in stone (about length of service and corresponding vacation days), sometimes they can work around that by given you more credit for years worked at other jobs.

Even when they can't do a thing, its another way to get them to up the dollar figure. For example, when I pointed out an offer had fewer days than I currently had with another job off, the employer offered to give the the difference in unpaid days off if I needed them (until I had enough service to get back to that number of paid days). And then they increased the salary number by that number of paid days to make it net out.

Never took the unpaid days off, just cashed the extra money.
Post #1574321
Posted Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:04 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:11 PM
Doctor Who 2 (5/24/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/21/2014)
Aeterna (5/19/2014)
I'd also suggest going over the contract in detail and be prepared to reject any job offer if you don't like the contractual terms. Companies will then either refuse to renegotiate (in which case, your decision is right), will explain the terms, or will amend the terms following a renegotiation.

It gives you a flavour of how they will deal with any future concerns you might have regarding salaries, working time, etc.

Very good point.

In addition to nitpicking the contract and asking for what you are worth in dollars and cents, I recommend negotiating the benefits. If you can negotiate and extra week or two of starting vacation, it could be a very worthwhile opportunity even if it is less money than you had hoped to get.

I don't usually negotiate the leave days initially, but at raise/review time I will try and negotiate for extra leave in return for a slightly lower increase, assuming of course that the pay is already acceptable (have enough money left over after monthly expenses)

My view there is that having money but no time to spend it is not a situation I like being in.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1574328
Posted Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:09 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:33 PM
GilaMonster (5/24/2014)
My view there is that having money but no time to spend it is not a situation I like being in.

I agree with that. Having time but no money to spend is another situation I don't like being in, so it can be hard to get the balance right.

Tom
Post #1574377
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse