Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Can you create a partition on an existing Fact table? Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:43 AM
Thanks Steve. Last question. Let's say partitioning is not an option and I don't want to use the partition view, are there any other things I can do to the Fact table to help me out?
Post #1571042
Posted Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:04 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:12 AM
Is the table keyed or have other indexes? Have a surrogate key? If you have some of these, you might be able to get your deletes to run faster but (and it's a BIG BUT) this would also depend a lot on your set-up - as in, *why* are you having to rebuild/reload the entire table every load? The reasons behind this may limit what your options are. 40MM rows isn't 'huge' but loading it every day could get to be a pain.

Steve.
Post #1571047
Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:24 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:43 AM
As of now, there are several nonclustered indices placed on the fact table. (these were built to help improve the querying of the BO reports) We do have several surrogate keys in the table as well. We rebuild this fact table (along with other dim, staging, etc.) every night becuase the data in these source tables are updated on a daily basis. So in order to show the updated data in the BO reports, we do this.

The entire process of deleting records, dropping indices, loading data, rebuilding indices takes roughly 3 1/2 hours each night. I would really like to try to cut this in half.
Post #1571339
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse