Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

forming a dynamic query Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:33 AM
You have three options: dynamic sql, a catch-all query, or using IF blocks to test the parameters and run whichever query fits the parameters.
Catch-all queries are popular but come with a cost, which you can read about here.
Using IF blocks is almost always the most performant method but you then have to maintain a number of queries each differing only in the WHERE clause.
Dynamic sql can certainly deal with your requirement but usually require a little more work than the other two methods. Try composing the different queries corresponding to the different parameters, something like your last post but with real column and table names, then use this as a template for building and testing your dynamic sql. Test each piece using PRINT.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1567822
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:17 AM
Sean Lange (5/1/2014)
The first and the biggest issue is this is wide open to sql injection.

In most cases, I'd strongly agree with you but... with two DATE, one INT, and one CHAR(1) parameters, I'd have to say that SQL Injection is impossible for the given code.

As to whether or not dynamic SQL is required for the original query or not goes, I'd have to agree with you and the others... NOT.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1568241
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:33 AM
Jeff Moden (5/6/2014)
Sean Lange (5/1/2014)

In most cases, I'd strongly agree with you but... with two DATE, one INT, and one CHAR(1) parameters, I'd have to say that SQL Injection is impossible for the given code.

As to whether or not dynamic SQL is required for the original query or not goes, I'd have to agree with you and the others... NOT.

The question is too vague and unstructured to provide anything more than a guess, so here goes:
IF @type <> '' AND @cid <> ''
SELECT * FROM tbl
WHERE [date] BETWEEN @frmdt AND @todt
AND cid = @cid
AND [type] = @type

IF @type <> ''
SELECT * FROM tbl
AND [type] = @type

IF @cid <> ''
SELECT * FROM tbl
AND cid = @cid

IF @type = '' AND @cid = ''
SELECT * FROM tbl

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1568314
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:38 AM
Jeff Moden (5/6/2014)
Sean Lange (5/1/2014)

Yes I even said as much in my post. However, the OP is struggling with a concept here and we all know what happens when you have dynamic sql that is working and somebody comes along and adds another value to the mix. At some point they will add a varchar to the mix and because the initial work was done in a format that allows it this will be wide open. Or the other side of that is that they will use this same technique on another process because it worked here. I am just trying to help the OP learn a better way of doing this so that in the future their code will be safe.

--edit--

fixed a spelling error.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1568453
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:06 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:34 PM
Could someone include the "how" and "why" that dynamic SQL is vulnerable to SQL injection ?

Post #1568485
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:38 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

homebrew01 (5/7/2014)
Could someone include the "how" and "why" that dynamic SQL is vulnerable to SQL injection ?

Well because of the datatypes presented here it really isn't vulnerable to sql injection. However, whenever I see somebody executing parameters to a stored proc the lights and sirens blaze loudly because the technique is incredibly dangerous.

Here is an example of dynamic sql that is very similar to the code posted in this thread.

create table InjectTest
(
SomeValue varchar(50)
)

insert InjectTest
select 'Here I am.'

go

select * from InjectTest

go
create procedure IsThisVulnerable
(
@MyValue varchar(50)
) as
declare @SQL nvarchar(max)
set @SQL = 'select * from sys.objects where name = ''' + @MyValue + ''''

select @SQL
exec(@SQL)

go

--So the example here is simplified but demonstrates sql injection
--Consider what happens when we execute this proc with these parameters.

exec IsThisVulnerable ''';drop table InjectTest--'

select * from InjectTest

--Now let's get really nasty. We will use sql injection to make the proc drop itself. ;)

select * from sys.objects where name = 'IsThisVulnerable'

go

exec IsThisVulnerable ''';drop proc IsThisVulnerable--'

go

select * from sys.objects where name = 'IsThisVulnerable'

Try this out on a sandbox database. This code will create a table and proc. Then actually remove all those object using sql injection.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Post #1568508
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:54 AM

SSCrazy

How would the hacker pass that variable to the stored procedure ? If it's part of a form on a website, then hackers can enter character strings. But if the procedure is deeper in the application ??

Post #1568515
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:16 AM

SSChampion

homebrew01 (5/7/2014)
How would the hacker pass that variable to the stored procedure ? If it's part of a form on a website, then hackers can enter character strings. But if the procedure is deeper in the application ??

Don't think about where the procedure can be accessed from. That is dangerous. Just because today the procedure isn't available from a web form doesn't mean that tomorrow it won't be. Remember that dynamic sql can be parameterized.

Taking the same dynamic sql we can easily parameterize it. Now this code is injection proof. When using dynamic sql it is not hard to write code that is injection proof.

alter procedure IsThisVulnerable
(
@MyValue varchar(50)
) as
declare @SQL nvarchar(max)
set @SQL = 'select * from sys.objects where name = @MyValue'

exec sp_executesql @SQL, N'@MyValue varchar(50)', @MyValue = @MyValue

go

exec IsThisVulnerable ''';drop proc IsThisVulnerable--'

exec IsThisVulnerable 'IsThisVulnerable'

Post #1568531
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:36 AM

SSCrazy

Thanks Sean !

Post #1568546
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:59 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:09 AM
I believe you can write this query without using DYNAMIC SQL. but the only part that confuses me is @CID. You specified it as integer, and you are passing a name to it.

You can write something like this
SELECT *
FROM [Transaction]
WHERE Transdt BETWEEN CONVERT(VARCHAR (10),@transfrmdt,111) AND CONVERT(VARCHAR (10),@transtodt,111)
AND (@Cid IS NULL OR Cid = @cid)
AND (NULLIF(@Type, '') IS NULL OR [Type] = @Type)

Good Luck :) .. Visit www.sqlsaga.com for more t-sql code snippets and BI related how to articles.
Post #1568566
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse