Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Stopping an SSIS Package on Data Flow Fail Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:38 AM
I have an SSIS package with 5 separate data flow tasks. They are not linked and run in parallel. I;m trying to figure out how to stop the other data flow tasks when one task fails. Anyone got any idea?

I tried setting Max Fails etc but doesn't seem to stop the other tasks.
Post #1566258
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 7:57 AM
nick.latocha (4/30/2014)
I have an SSIS package with 5 separate data flow tasks. They are not linked and run in parallel. I;m trying to figure out how to stop the other data flow tasks when one task fails. Anyone got any idea?

I tried setting Max Fails etc but doesn't seem to stop the other tasks.

Try to add a follow-up task (could be a script task or a ole command task that issues a SQL RAISERROR stmt). Connect your 5 parallel tasks to this new task but only upon failure.
Post #1566335
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Hmmm that doesn't seem to work. The other Data Flow tasks seem to continue to run in parallel.

I tried something similar with a Script task which returned a dts error and that didn't work either.
Post #1566347
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:05 AM This worked for the OP Answer marked as solution

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:51 AM
If they run in paralllel, they are independent of each other.
However, this is not 100% true. Say you have 7 tasks which can run in parallel.
But only 4 of time can run at the same time (due to the number of processors available). If one crashes, the other 3 will continue to run. But no new data flow tasks will be started since the parent container (package, sequence container, for each loop, whatever) has already failed.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1566368
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Koen Verbeeck (4/30/2014)
If they run in paralllel, they are independent of each other.
However, this is not 100% true. Say you have 7 tasks which can run in parallel.
But only 4 of time can run at the same time (due to the number of processors available). If one crashes, the other 3 will continue to run. But no new data flow tasks will be started since the parent container (package, sequence container, for each loop, whatever) has already failed.

This makes sense

Thanks
Post #1566391
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse