Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

VMs for Development Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 12:37 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:49 AM
Mauricio N (2/14/2014)
I've used VMWare Player (now Player Plus) and VirtualBox. Both are good, unfortunately it's not so easy to change from one to another (I've tried this week).
With a PC with 16 GB Ram as minimum you can have several VMs running without problem.

You've brought up a point which I don't know the answer to, and that's how much RAM the host PC should have, in order to handle VM's. Here at work I've got a PC with 16GB if RAM, just like you said you have. But at home, well not so much. What do you (and others) think is a minimum amount of RAM to make hosting a VM or two viable?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1541716
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 12:41 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:51 PM
What do you (and others) think is a minimum amount of RAM to make hosting a VM or two viable?

IMHO, at least 8gb RAM. 16gb is optimal, and 32gb is perfect.
Post #1541721
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 12:46 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:17 PM
Sid Childers (2/14/2014)
What do you (and others) think is a minimum amount of RAM to make hosting a VM or two viable?

I agree.

With 16GB, I can run multiple VMs at a time without hurting performance. More memory would be great.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1541724
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 12:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:45 AM
James Horsley (2/14/2014)
I still haven't gotten to the point where I don't install anything in the base layer operating system, but I hope to get there at some point.

I mainly don't install stuff to the host machine now on my desktop - on my notebook I do because it is a bit of a hassle always having to fire up VM's for things. The real benefit is when you upgrade - just copy over the VM's and away you go (actually I also use removable hard disk caddies so no copy either).

I am also doing the same, I have nothing installed on my host, since using windows 8.1 and have projects to visual studio 6, use multiple VMs to emulate windowsxp, windows7, sql server, etc..
They are very easy to raise, clone without reinstalling anything
Post #1541730
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 1:03 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:45 AM
Rod at work (2/14/2014)
Mauricio N (2/14/2014)
I've used VMWare Player (now Player Plus) and VirtualBox. Both are good, unfortunately it's not so easy to change from one to another (I've tried this week).
With a PC with 16 GB Ram as minimum you can have several VMs running without problem.

You've brought up a point which I don't know the answer to, and that's how much RAM the host PC should have, in order to handle VM's. Here at work I've got a PC with 16GB if RAM, just like you said you have. But at home, well not so much. What do you (and others) think is a minimum amount of RAM to make hosting a VM or two viable?

I have 8Gb Ram, and can use 3 VM at the time, one xp, one 7 pro, one server 2008
I setup each one with 2Gb of Ram,
Generally is rare that I use more than 2 VM at the time, but when I do my RAM is close to aneurism
I gonna update to 16Gb to be fresh

Post #1541734
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 2:05 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:31 PM
I use Parallels on a Mac Air, one Windows VM for email and docs and personal stuff, one for presentations, and one for small development projects. I also have a "server" running ESXi free edition for when I need more room. I use Chocolatey for installing most of the tools I use, reduces the pain of a new image quite a bit.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1541766
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 2:06 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:37 PM
Production and test VM's use VMWare ESXi hypervisor (legally free for use as long as you don't do certain things, one example being rent out entire guests) on a whitebox; those are all Linux and FreeBSD flavors for licensing reasons, with PostgreSQL for a databse layer.

VMWare Player for development VM's, and MSDN licensing for the guest Windows OS and SQL Server for those development VM's I use.

VMWare Workstation for some development at work, also with MSDN licensing for the guest Windows OS and SQL Server for development.

A little Hyper-V at work; not nearly as good as VMWare.

VMWare vCenter for production at work, with the usual EA agreement licensing.

VMWare ESXi is the bomb - you can set up vSwitches and then use pfSense or Monowall as a guest to act as all-up firewalls between vSwitches, and only one vSwitch attaches to each physical network interface.
Post #1541767
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 4:22 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:44 AM
Work I have my local machine and a Virtual Server on our development environment. At home I have just my local PC. However I run between 6 and 8 cloud servers for my work and another company website. Not a virtual at home, but elsewhere yes.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1541799
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 6:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:20 PM
I've been using VM Ware desktop for a few years now, for all the reasons everyone is talking about.

-You don't have to rebuild your development stack every time you get a new machine.

-You can copy the VM to an external drive and run it on another machine in a pinch.

-You can P2V a clients machine and take a copy home with you for testing

-Upgrading or adding new tools is worry free, since you can take a snapshot before the upgrade/install. If it winds up hosing the system you can revert back and be back up and running in a few minutes. This is a biggie for me.

-Laplink PCmover works well for moving stuff from one VM to another. I recently (finally) upgraded my XP dev environment to Win 7. Laplink did most of the heavy lifting, however, it did not move MS Visual Studio. Had to reinstall with a new key for that one.

Very happy with VMs for dev work. My machine is an i7 with 12 gigs of ram. More would be better, next box will have at least 32

Mike
Post #1542074
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 6:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:36 AM
Sid Childers (2/14/2014)

As much as you can (afford) really ... I used to get away with 1GB XP VM's for most things with a few on 2GB and some simple test ones on 512KB ... but good old MS keeps ramping up the size of things so some of my VM's are 4GB now - so on desktop I have 32GB and my new notebook (that I am just about to purchase) will have 16GB (there are a few 32GB capable notebooks by they blow the budget).

Also don't forget cores ... I use a quad core i7 with hyper threading making it look like 8 CPU's this allows me to have 6 to 8 VM running at a time without much grief.

James Horsley
Workflow Consulting Limited
Post #1542084
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse