Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SCUD? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:37 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:12 AM
I've come across this acronym in a few places recently, one being a SQL Server DBA job description. Does anybody know what it stands for, in database related terms?

Post #1533841
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:41 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:47 AM
netmikem (1/22/2014)
I've come across this acronym in a few places recently, one being a SQL Server DBA job description. Does anybody know what it stands for, in database related terms?

I've heard of CRUD, which is Create Read Update Delete, but the only thing i can find related to SCUD references whether you can recover your data from a full disaster:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic214769-263-1.aspx

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1533843
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:48 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:00 PM
Never heard that one, but might be: Select Create Update Delete. These kids today and their modern slang.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
David Webb
Post #1533846
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:41 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:51 AM
I occasionally refer to CUD, Create, Update, Delete, when discussing the parts of ORM tools that I (sometimes) don't have problems with. Nothing in Bingle either. I think you may have misheard, or it's a local thing to particular company.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1533997
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:17 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

The job ad definitely says SCUD. Here is the particular qualification statement ...

"Must have minimum eight years' experience with SQL, coding queries, SCUD, stored procedures and data import/export."

I suspect the previous suggestion of Select, Create, Update and Delete is correct. If I get an interview, I'll be sure to respectfully ask about it.

Post #1534008
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:05 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:05 PM
netmikem (1/23/2014)
Thanks for the feedback.

The job ad definitely says SCUD. Here is the particular qualification statement ...

"Must have minimum eight years' experience with SQL, coding queries, SCUD, stored procedures and data import/export."

I suspect the previous suggestion of Select, Create, Update and Delete is correct. If I get an interview, I'll be sure to respectfully ask about it.

Most likely the recruiter couldn't their own notes when getting the job description from their client. I suspect it probably is CRUD. Can't really expect recruiter to know all the lingo we throw around routinely.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1534107
Posted Friday, January 24, 2014 5:38 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 4:20 AM
netmikem (1/23/2014)
Thanks for the feedback.

Some Completely Useless Designs

In my experience, the ability to deal with this is invaluable in any shop.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1534447
Posted Friday, January 24, 2014 8:03 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:41 PM
andrew gothard (1/24/2014)
netmikem (1/23/2014)
Thanks for the feedback.

I LIKE IT!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1534500
Posted Friday, January 24, 2014 8:53 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:13 PM
Serving Completely Useless Data

Serving Completely Useful Data

Systems Crying Under Duress

To be serious, it is likely as others have said: Select Create Update Delete.

Tom
Post #1534524
Posted Friday, January 24, 2014 9:07 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 4:20 AM
Jeff Moden (1/24/2014)
andrew gothard (1/24/2014)
netmikem (1/23/2014)
Thanks for the feedback.

I LIKE IT!

<Marvin Voice>
I don't. It's terrible.
</Marvin Voice>

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1534534
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse