Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Database in Recovery mode Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:36 AM
While waiting for it to come online, have you checked the disk system? Have you checked general server health? Have you checked permissions (make sure they haven't changed)?

Your recovery process could take a very long time based on the info provided. While that is happening, you might as well do everything possible to ensure there is nothing else causing delays or problems.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1532704
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 1:46 AM
praneethydba (1/20/2014)
HI,

As the database is very big and no place on drive. we stopped taking backup's.
Can you please provide me the solution..

Thanks
Praneeth

The best backups are not stored on the same drive, IMHO. And with the cost of space these days........
Post #1532974
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:57 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:53 PM
HI,

Still in Recovery. I am Panic.
My company is running this database from past 8 years and no indexing, no Primary/clustered index, No jobs etc.
So I want to streamline all this database. I studied on net to improve performance we can do table partition for fast retrieval of data.
Can you please let me know the link or site
Any additional tips are highly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Praneeth
Post #1532996
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:04 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
praneethydba (1/21/2014)

Be patient.
The progress gets logged to the error log, check there for estimated time remaining, but note it's often on the low side

My company is running this database from past 8 years and no indexing, no Primary/clustered index, No jobs etc.

Sounds like you need to get someone in to evaluate and make recommendations. If it's that much of a mess, it's going to be a huge job just figuring out where to start.

I studied on net to improve performance we can do table partition for fast retrieval of data.

Um, no.
https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/gail-shaws-sql-server-howlers/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1533002
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:09 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:17 AM
praneethydba (1/21/2014)
HI,

So I want to streamline all this database. I studied on net to improve performance we can do table partition for fast retrieval of data.
Can you please let me know the link or site
Any additional tips are highly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Praneeth

Partitioning is not really a performance tuning mechanism. It's primarily a data management mechanism that can have performance improvements. I agree with Gail, get a professional in to do an assessment. Barring that, get a copy of my book. At least you'll have a functional starting point for figuring this stuff out.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1533039
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:13 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

HI Gail Shaw

They hired me to do this job. As I am in the beginning of my career. I am not sure, from where to start and what to find. But I dont want to give up. I am seeking help from you guys, where I will get some tips on performance tuning and where I can build myself on this project..
Can you please share me the information on partitions, tuning etc...

Thanks
Praneeth
Post #1533042
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:15 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
praneethydba (1/21/2014)
They hired me to do this job. As I am in the beginning of my career. I am not sure, from where to start and what to find.

Do they know that, or do they think you're an experienced DBA?

If the former, tell them you don't know where to start or what to look for and that they should get an experienced consultant in to do an analysis and recommendations. If the latter, well....

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1533045
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:24 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:40 AM
Don't even think about partitioning. If you do not have backup, partitioning is way over your head (not trying to know you, but if you have no backups, indexes, etc., partitioning is the least of your problems).

Once the dust settles, get a valid backup strategy in place. DBAs get fired for not having valid backups. If your company says they can not afford the space\resources to backup the data, then fight them. Get it in writing all the way up to the CIO level. Make sure that they know, without ANY doubt, that one bad disk sector can take out the entire database. And disks fail, or sometimes hiccup to the point where a database can be corrupted.

Take a look here: http://www.brentozar.com/needs/
Post #1533055
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:29 AM
SSC Rookie

Ok Sure... After this Incident my boss asked me to configure the backup startegy and DR setup aswell...

Thanks
Praneeth
Post #1533059
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:29 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 1:46 AM
I would recommend, among other free sites like here, that you pay for good training ones like pluralsight and O'Reiley books on-line. I saw, for example, they have over 55 training sessions on different aspects (and versions) of SQL Server. And no, I don't own stock in any of them
Post #1533060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse