Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The Desktop Setup Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:21 AM
One of my pet peeves is that every company I ever worked for in past 20+ years are so dang cheap on the PC's and laptop's they provide. We all have a story on this. But for example my current company gives every one 14" laptops that only have 4 gig memory but still uses Windows 32 bit which means that 1 gig of memory is not even being used. And we supposed to be developers, dba's etc! 14", i can't even see it! They also give some of us an external monitor. Mine happens to be 27", which is nice, but going back and forth between and 14" and 27" gives me a headache by the end of the day. It has been a proven fact that the bigger the monitor, the better worker productivity. And you know they pay HP an arm and a leg for these 14" things, when only maybe a few $$ we could get 17" or so laptops. And 64 bit machines!
Post #1529760
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 6:41 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:26 AM
Decent sized monitor (raised up about 4 inches! a stack of old paper works), comfortable chair (although a standing desk does sound interesting), Paint, Outlook/Office that's a version less that 5 years old, and the ability to remote in to the server. If I get more than that, I start feeling spoiled.

Seriously, seems I'm always asked to do a lot with a little. After a while, you just get used to it. I got a copy of Crystal Reports last years. Felt like winning the lottery. If you are a one man IT department at a small company, you usually only get a canteen, compass, and Swiss Army knife - but not one of the spiffy ones with a pair of scissors.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1529762
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 6:54 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:22 PM
My tools are:

Visual Studio
SSMS
WinDiff
DBFDiff
Snipping Tool
SQL Server Central
Tek-Tips

I have two monitors which is nice but not a necessity. I have two PCs. One with WinXP and one with Win7 so applications can be tested in both environments. We still have a mixed environment. I have a disability and can't stand for long periods, so, the chair and desk/table set up is important.

That's about it.

Tom
Post #1529765
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 7:11 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:26 AM
I love having three monitors but in a pinch i can use one(like I do at home). I find the tool I miss the most and use all the time is Clipx. It's a clipboard buffer that lets me keep and paste the most recent 25 items. If I don't have that I feel like I'm coding with crayons, on an etch'n'sketch.

the other thing I can live without but prefer not to is music. Nice to listen too, and effective and drowning out background conversations...
Post #1529777
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 7:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 6:40 AM
I have to work on lots of projects, doing lots of correspondence, some SQL, VB.NET, tracking down problems, reviewing other people's work, and determining the set of tools (internal and 3rd party) and their configurations for a group of technical workers. I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of programs on my computer. So I'm bouncing around all the time and need to have everything I work on in the same context. Thus:

1. Not having two good sized monitors drives me nuts.

2. I need a good email program that lets me organize, search, automate, and archive with good speed -- Outlook works great.

3. High-end text editing is a huge time-saver, and I used to say a dedicated program was essential, but the VS/SSMS editors are getting pretty good.

4. I need a single, efficient, compact place to go to find every program and get at frequently-used and recent files. Something like, oh, I don't know, let's call it a START MENU, that organizes ALL programs, lets me create customized shortcuts with hotkeys and command switches and environment variables, lets me pin common programs and files, shows recently used files for each program, and gives access to ALL system settings.
Post #1529778
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 7:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:36 AM
I can get by on the basics: black coffee, SSMS, VS and MS Office. I'd rather not just "get by". Dual Monitors, Redgate tool belt, Notepad ++, Starbucks, Bose noise cancelling headset and my ipad for music. Throw in a hot lunch and that's a hell of a day!
Post #1529782
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 7:59 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 12:29 PM
Dual monitors is almost a must, now that I'm used to it. When I do work from home it drives me crazy sometimes to only have one. I like to have pictures of the wife and from our vacations around to remind me of what I'm working for. Only need water, no coffee for me. I've asked in the past about getting desks we could stand at, still no luck on that. I think I would like standing better, or at least have the option to sit or stand. I'd need taller cubicle walls then so I didn't see everyone walking down the hall.

As a developer I just use whatever software they give me. I do use Beyond Compare to compare files and folders from the different environments(dev, test, int, prod). I also like to use Ultra Edit, just to be able to search across folders, I found the windows search didn't always catch everything plus I can tell it what to not look at.
Post #1529812
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 8:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:21 PM
Like most in IT, my duties seem to vary from day to day and project to project. Whenever I need to be onsite with a client, I usually take a USB thumb drive with PortableApps loaded on it (portableapps.com). This provides me with a host of applications that I can utilize without needing to install anything on the client's system.
Post #1529818
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 8:17 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:53 AM
A couple people have mentioned it already, but if you're not using a clipboard capture tool, you are missing out. I use ClipCache at work and loved/missed it so much I purchased it for home use. You would be amazed at how often you find a use for that string you copied 3 captures - or days! - ago ...
Post #1529820
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 8:33 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Since I'm a developer I have to have Visual Studio. That's essential for my job. Then because I do database development work I've got to have SSMS. We do reports and are trying to migrate away from Crystal, so I've also got to have SSRS. But because we're still working with Crystal ("curses , Batman!") I've got to have that installed as well. MS Office is also necessary for me. Some FTP client (I'm not particular, just whatever is convenient). I also like Paint.NET for doing graphics work. And I also use Blend for Visual Studio for doing XAML design. I need Fiddler 2 for troubleshooting HTTP traffic with our web apps. And I love Notepad++ installed as well.

Those are what I need to be productive.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1529832
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse