Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Update Temp table where the column names are unknown Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:19 PM
In a stored procedure I dynamically create a temp table by selecting the name of Applications from a regular table. Then I add a date column and add the last 12 months. See attachment.

So far so good. Now I want to update the data in columns by querying another regular table. Normally it would be something like:

UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [columName] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,'MM/yyyy') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,'MM/yyyy'))

However, since I don't know what the name of the columns are at any given time, I need to do this dynamically.

So my question is, how can I get the column names of a Temp table dynamically while doing an Update?

Thanks!

Post Attachments 
tempTable.jpg (6 views, 42.47 KB)
Post #1526024
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:02 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:11 PM
info-531323 (12/26/2013)
In a stored procedure I dynamically create a temp table by selecting the name of Applications from a regular table. Then I add a date column and add the last 12 months. See attachment.

So far so good. Now I want to update the data in columns by querying another regular table. Normally it would be something like:

UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [columName] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable

However, since I don't know what the name of the columns are at any given time, I need to do this dynamically.

So my question is, how can I get the column names of a Temp table dynamically while doing an Update?
Thanks!

the part that's missing is how you know the column gets updated;
i assume that somewhere in your RegularTable, there must be a reference to the application now represented as a column in the ##TempTable;
but your example doesn't show that;
i'd bet some dynamic SQL will fix it, where you get teh column name based on the data.
DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(8000)
SELECT 'UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [' + ApplicationName +'] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,''MM/yyyy'') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,''MM/yyyy''))
AND ApplicationName = ' + ApplicationName +' '
PRINT @cmd
EXEC (@cmd)

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1526026
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:19 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
This will lead to some pretty miserable performance on top of it all... it makes for a 100% non-SARGable query. You could have a thousand index on the columns involved and the absolute best you'll ever get is an INDEX SCAN.

I knew people would abuse the new FORMAT function as soon as I saw it.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1526031
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(8000)
SELECT 'UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [' + ApplicationName +'] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,''MM/yyyy'') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,''MM/yyyy''))
AND ApplicationName = ' + ApplicationName +' '
PRINT @cmd
EXEC (@cmd)

Thanks! I got it to work using your code's syntax.
Post #1526068
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:02 PM
Forum Newbie

[quote]Jeff Moden (12/26/2013)
This will lead to some pretty miserable performance on top of it all... it makes for a 100% non-SARGable query. You could have a thousand index on the columns involved and the absolute best you'll ever get is an INDEX SCAN.

[quote]

'RegularTable' is updated once a month with a maximum of 10 new entries. That's 120 new lines a year, in twenty years it will have a total of 2,400 records. I don't think that even then performance will be an issue.

That being said, I agree its probably not the best way, so if you have a suggestion on how I should approach that part of the query, please show me an example.
Post #1526069
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse