Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Database need to be replicated Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:26 PM
Hi,

I need to create a database that can be acceded by other people. This database needs to be up-to-date (with the source database) on a regular basis.

This database will be on a different server in relation to the source database.

What is the best thing to do?

Post #1525210
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 5:02 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

As told, the two database will be on different servers.

Maybe the best solution is to create a linked server on the destination server. Then on the destination database create a view like servername.database.dbo.table.

This way users can query this view on the destination database without having permissions on the source database.

Question is:

Can I create an HTTP linked server?
Post #1525215
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 5:19 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM
If both servers share a SAN, some SANs have what I call a "SAN Snapshot" that will very nearly instantaneously create a copy of an existing database on the "other" box. We had a half TB database that we did that to in a previous company and the total time it took was just several seconds. The only warning that I have is that is IS a replacement and not an update Anything new you have in the "other" machine will be wiped out.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1525221
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 5:34 PM
Right there with Babe

I don't have SANs. The SQL Server Instances are on two different servers (each server is a standalone server)

Servers are on different physical places.

Can I create http linked server?
Post #1525225
Posted Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM
river1 (12/20/2013)
I don't have SANs. The SQL Server Instances are on two different servers (each server is a standalone server)

Servers are on different physical places.

Can I create http linked server?

At this point, I'd recommend "just" using Replication of some form. If it's critical that the "other" server be up to date as soon as possible, consider "Merge Replication". If a delay is tolerable, consider "Log Shipping".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1525277
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse