Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Thanksgiving 2013 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:27 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1518376
Posted Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:31 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for all your interesting questions, Steve!
Post #1518377
Posted Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1518402
Posted Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:37 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:25 PM
The question has provided a bit of cultural enlightenment for me too.

I've been seeing lots of email with "Black Friday sales" in my junk tray, and mistakenly thought they were referring to Friday 13th December - as it's tradition "downunder" for any Friday 13th to be referred to as Black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving all, anyway
Post #1518422
Posted Friday, November 29, 2013 3:11 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 4:54 AM
Thank you....
Post #1518484
Posted Friday, November 29, 2013 8:31 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
Steve, thanks for all you do in keeping this site going.
Post #1518561
Posted Friday, November 29, 2013 8:34 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (11/28/2013)
Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Interesting statement in the explanation that this is when many retailers start their Christmas season - it seems that American retailers have more of a sense than English ones: in most of England the "special Christmas offers" start appearing some time in August. I don't know whether this stupidity has penetrated Wales yet, and it hasn't reached the parts of Scotland that I get to in August, but in England it appears to be pretty well universal - not in the sense that every retailer does it, but in the sense that at least one retailer in every shopping mall or on every shopping street does it.

Black Friday is when the most intense sales are held in the United States. However, Christmas items are for sale by September or October in many stores. Often, the Christmas decorations will be right beside the Halloween candy and decorations.
Post #1518562
Posted Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:48 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:16 AM
[The Friday after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday in the US].

Ok, that was something totally new for me, editors of SSC should know that this kind of deeply American culture questions are so difficult (near impossible) to anyone who lives outside the US.
Post #1518685
Posted Sunday, December 01, 2013 6:06 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:44 PM
Hany Helmy (12/1/2013)
[The Friday after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday in the US].

Ok, that was something totally new for me, editors of SSC should know that this kind of deeply American culture questions are so difficult (near impossible) to anyone who lives outside the US.

If you read English newspapers, you will notice that "Black Friday" is used in England too, at least by some journalists, to mean the day after the fourth Thursday in November (and I've seen "Green Friday" in English newspapers too).

Tom
Post #1518695
Posted Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:48 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:20 PM
I had never heard black friday referred to before now, but ever since this question its been popping up everywhere as british retailers jump on this american tradition to try and drum up trade.

Steve must be prescient or have an inside track to british retailers

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1518705
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse