Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How to split filegroup files to more than physical storage drive Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 10:06 AM
Are I can spread my database filegroup files to more than storage drive , not on the same storage drive , and stay connected logically as if they in the same drive , for example I want create filegroup named filegroup1 consist of these files : Data1.mdf
Data2.ndf , Data3.ndf
and I want to put every file in different storage drive , I will put Data1.mdf in Drive D , Data2.ndf in Drive F , Data3.ndf in Drive G and SQL Server will read them as filegroup despite they not in the same physical place , If this possible how can I do that
Post #1517122
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:18 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
MohamedDBA (11/24/2013)
Are I can spread my database filegroup files to more than storage drive , not on the same storage drive , and stay connected logically as if they in the same drive , for example I want create filegroup named filegroup1 consist of these files : Data1.mdf
Data2.ndf , Data3.ndf
and I want to put every file in different storage drive , I will put Data1.mdf in Drive D , Data2.ndf in Drive F , Data3.ndf in Drive G and SQL Server will read them as filegroup despite they not in the same physical place , If this possible how can I do that

Yes, you can do this using GUI or t-sql, I'm not if that's what you are asking..

Regards,
SQLisAwe5oMe.
Post #1517137
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:49 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:50 PM
MohamedDBA (11/24/2013)
Data2.ndf , Data3.ndf

It is absolutely possible. Please refer to Books Online as to how. Lookup "filegroup".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1517142
Posted Friday, November 29, 2013 6:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:50 AM
MohamedDBA (11/24/2013)
Data2.ndf , Data3.ndf

I'm assuming you have already created the files and want to move them is that correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1518544
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse