Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Test Coverage Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Test Coverage

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1513317
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:08 PM
Due to the overall poor support for unit testing for SQL Server (and I have found it to be the same for Oracle) often the Data Access Layer (DAL) unit tests are used to unit test the stored procedures (SPs). This breaks the principle of unit testing a single unit, however, it is a pragmatic approach as the DAL is so tightly coupled to the SPs anyway.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1513375
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:34 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:44 AM
The link to http://tsqlt.org/ is not working for me.

Post #1513423
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:05 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

netmikem (11/12/2013)
The link to http://tsqlt.org/ is not working for me.

The link works fine for me. In what way is it not working? What are you browsing on/with/via?

Gaz

Post #1513429
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:11 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:44 AM
Odd, it is fine now. Seems to have been a transient issue. Thanks.

Post #1513432
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:24 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 PM
I'll typically place a few unit test examples in the comment block of each stored procedure I write. Sometimes I'll use SQLProfiler to cature sample procedure calls while the QA tests the application, and then save that off as a script for unit testing, mostly just as a smoke test to make sure I havn't broken any dependencies whenever I make a change to a procedure, view, or table.

Also, whenever I make a change to a stored procedure that returns a result, if the result is not expected to change, perhaps something like a performance optimization, then I'll save a before and after text copy of results into a comparison tool like WinMerge and comfirm nothing unexpected like sort order, doubling up of rows, or NULL columns has changed.
Post #1513456
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 3:28 PM
From the article:
These days most testing of software is automated.

Oddly enough, I believe that's part of the problem with delivered software, today. There's nothing like a human using the software as the ultimate test because that's the ultimate goal. I've also found that, except for certain types of load testing software, most automated software doesn't even consider performance and a lot of people don't set the test software up for "negative path" testing.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1513481
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:43 AM

SSCertifiable

Jeff Moden (11/12/2013)
From the article:

Oddly enough, I believe that's part of the problem with delivered software, today. There's nothing like a human using the software as the ultimate test because that's the ultimate goal. I've also found that, except for certain types of load testing software, most automated software doesn't even consider performance and a lot of people don't set the test software up for "negative path" testing.

I agree.

The best scenario is for automated testing by the developers, automated testing by the test team, manual script testing by test team where automation difficult or impossible, manual exploratory testing by test team and finally UAT testing by users.

Also, penetration testing, performance testing, integration testing, disaster recovery testing and usability/user experience (UX) testing.

Gaz

Post #1513494
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:18 AM
Jeff Moden (11/12/2013)
From the article:

I agree. It takes something special to be a good QA person, and most developers (I include myself) don't have it. Also, while the *Unit test frameworks work well for unit tests, they are still unit test. I believe that QA groups are still needed for the larger integration efforts. I haven't read or heard anything about the test matrix for the new healthcare market place, but I can make some guesses about what it looked like prior to the opening, and how much larger it will be in a couple of months.
Post #1513518
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:43 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 PM
Tom Bakerman (11/12/2013)
Jeff Moden (11/12/2013)
From the article:

I agree. It takes something special to be a good QA person, and most developers (I include myself) don't have it. Also, while the *Unit test frameworks work well for unit tests, they are still unit test. I believe that QA groups are still needed for the larger integration efforts. I haven't read or heard anything about the test matrix for the new healthcare market place, but I can make some guesses about what it looked like prior to the opening, and how much larger it will be in a couple of months.

QA needs to be performed by a dedicated "QA engineer" using a formalized process and test plan. Simply asking the business analyst, a stake holder, or an intern to famliarize themselves with the requirements documents and then sit down and "poke around" with the application doesn't cut it.
Post #1513528
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse