Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

When Database Mirroring fails, testing recovery scenarios Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:43 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:27 AM
I have a mirror setup, and I want to test failover recovery when things go bad.

Like in clustering, I can probably disable a NIC and simulate failover. For example, we loosing a Principal server, its gone, and I want to bring my mirror online. I would alter database <dbname> set partner force_service_allow_data_loss.
Is that possible? let say I reboot the principal server and it doesn't come back, how do I bring my mirror back online? If it's setup in a mirroring session, I can't use the alter above because it is part of a mirroring session.

What about testing when a corruption occurs.

I am looking for scenarios laid out that show me how to create problems and recovery from them for database mirroring.

Any ideas?

Alan.
Post #1511594
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:42 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:20 AM
If you set up a witness, you should be able to get the secondary running when the primary goes down for a long enough time (the witness has a timeout value). Using FORCE_SERVICE_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS will allow you to get the mirror back up, but if the primary is only isolated, and not actually down, it is basically breaking the mirror, as both replicas are now on their own individual LSNs. have a look at the cautions and caveats on the Technet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189977%28v=sql.105%29.aspx
Post #1511998
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse