Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

inserting cte table into temp table? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:40 AM
Jeff Moden (11/4/2013)
mick burden (11/4/2013)
thanks Jeff, it's not something I've used before. What is the advantage? and can the table created be read using VB.net?

The biggest advantage is that you can use SELECT/INTO instead of having to precreate a Temp Table. The advantages there are that you don't have to select all columns and SELECT/INTO is incredibly fast because it uses minimal logging. Like a stored procedure, it also allows you to pass in parameters and you can actually think of the function as a parameterized view.

The only drawback that I see is there isn't any index which would have to be created separately. I've used this method as long as I wasn't joining it with other tables.... It makes for a very inefficient processing....

Kurt

Kurt W. Zimmerman
SR DBA
Lefrak Organization
New York, NY

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtwzimmerman
Post #1511220
Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 11:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:51 PM
Kurt W. Zimmerman (11/4/2013)
Jeff Moden (11/4/2013)
mick burden (11/4/2013)
thanks Jeff, it's not something I've used before. What is the advantage? and can the table created be read using VB.net?

The biggest advantage is that you can use SELECT/INTO instead of having to precreate a Temp Table. The advantages there are that you don't have to select all columns and SELECT/INTO is incredibly fast because it uses minimal logging. Like a stored procedure, it also allows you to pass in parameters and you can actually think of the function as a parameterized view.

The only drawback that I see is there isn't any index which would have to be created separately. I've used this method as long as I wasn't joining it with other tables.... It makes for a very inefficient processing....

Kurt

For me, those problems normally don't exist and they probably shouldn't exist for most. Stop and think about what should be in a Temp Table even if you do have to join against it. It should ONLY contain data that will actually be used meaning that a table scan on a Temp Table is frequently as fast or faster than the use of indexes. If your temp table is so large that you need indexes on it to gain performance, then you may have simply put the wrong data into the Temp Table.

To wit, indexing a 50 row table like what the OP is producing is highly likely to be counter productive.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1511226
Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 4:57 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:29 PM
Mick, can I ask why you want to insert the 50 rows into a temp table?

Can't you just take the output from the "OUTPUT" clause and use that directly in your VB code?

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #1511327
    Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:31 PM
    SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:23 AM
    Sorry I've only just replied to your posts as I've been on leave. the reason it was only 50 on my example is that it was an existing SP which initially was used to send data to a WCF program which at that time would only handle small amounts of data. With examples you all have been showing me I upped the figure from 50 to 5000 and I'm now using the data to populate an Access database instead. It's also something I could be using for other projects in the future. By using your submissions I've been also been learning more abour SQL server which I find immensely interesting. As for Mister.Magoo's about using the OUTPUT statement, I'd never thoughts of that, tried it, and it works, thanks. Thanks to everyone who contibuted to my problem
    Post #1511725
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse