Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Becoming an MVP Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:47 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:42 PM
krowley (10/31/2013)
[quote]Sigh , I hate the whole job hunting process and was sort of hoping a short cut at least existed. Not that I would have been able to take it when it comes time for me to look for my next job, but at least it would have given me hope that there was a better way of finding a job out there.

It's called the community. Write, post, make a name for yourself, make friends (not alphabet soup). Then put your blog/articles on your CV. That way you can show your competency to would-be employers. Ask those new friends about potential new jobs.

btw, I haven't met a single HR person who, after looking at my CV went 'Wow, you're an MVP.' Most went 'What's MVP and why should I care?'

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1510226
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:49 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:42 PM
djackson 22568 (10/31/2013)
I think that one reason idiot MVPs are so bad is because their focus was on the title and not the knowledge. That (the focus) is kind of what I got out of Steve's post. Sometimes the focus is on how many posts they can make. Rarely do these people care about the quality of their posts, and often they don't even read the question thoroughly. I am sick and tired of trying to trouble shoot something, and having to waste time looking at "solutions" that are clearly wrong, have no basis at all, and frequently have nothing to do with the person's original question.

Those would be the ones I wouldn't trust in the same building as my server.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1510230
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:52 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:20 AM
djackson 22568 (10/31/2013)
....idiot MVPs...

And often half of their posts are "I have given you an answer so mark mine as the answer" which is hilarious, only in tragic terms, as most of their answers are rubbish or reworded posts by someone else (Idiot MVPs do you not think we can see the other posts higher up in the thread? Idiots.)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1510235
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:36 AM
Gary Varga (10/31/2013)
krowley (10/31/2013)
...was sort of hoping a short cut at least existed...

None that are worthwhile. Great rewards generally require great endeavour.

It isn't the work I want to short cut around. I would gladly do MORE work if I could avoid the hell of applying for jobs, traditional interviews etc... I just find the whole process of job hunting as I have experienced it so dehumanizing it makes me crazy. Give me some way of proving I am competent at what I do and then help me find a position that fits my personality and skills without all this and I will love you.

I guess what I want is a kind of E-Harmony for job hunting. A shortcut only in that it does a lot of the personality etc matching for you, but you still have to do the hard work of building a relationship.
Post #1510243
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:11 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
krowley (10/31/2013)
Gary Varga (10/31/2013)
krowley (10/31/2013)

It isn't the work I want to short cut around. I would gladly do MORE work if I could avoid the hell of applying for jobs, traditional interviews etc... I just find the whole process of job hunting as I have experienced it so dehumanizing it makes me crazy. Give me some way of proving I am competent at what I do and then help me find a position that fits my personality and skills without all this and I will love you.

I guess what I want is a kind of E-Harmony for job hunting. A shortcut only in that it does a lot of the personality etc matching for you, but you still have to do the hard work of building a relationship.

I think the issue us technical folks have with job hunting is that HR people are clueless when it comes to what we do. They want nice clean designations, like MVP, DBA, et cetera. The issue is a lot of technical people perform tasks that are completely unrelated to their title. I believe I posted before about how one company looking for DotNet programmers the year it was released, wanted 4-5 years experience! They see something like MVP, MCSE or CCNA and they assume expertise.

We all know a certification does not prove nor disprove expertise. HR staff assume it does, and frequently discard resumes from those of us who are better qualified but just don't have the fancy letters.

Easier job searching? I wish.

Dave
Post #1510253
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:12 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

krowley (10/31/2013)
Gary Varga (10/31/2013)
krowley (10/31/2013)

Perhaps you should read Grow Your Family as many people find this useful apparently. I still think that if the interview is too painful then so will the job. I can't help but feel that you want it handed to you on a plate. You say not but all of us go through the same rigmarole. Some less frequently because they find a home others more frequently because they work freelance.

Gaz

Post #1510255
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:35 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
I also do not look forward to any interview for a future job. I have sat on panels and interviewed tons of technical and managerial candidates but have not been interviewed for a position for over 20 years. It might be interesting to sit on the opposite side of the table. But for now things are fine as they are.

Comment on MVP -> Let Microsoft do as Microsoft will do, they have recognized some great people over the years, but they also have proved that they can be fooled in this area also. For the most part we should go about doing excellent work and let the MVP's and other things fall where they may.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1510266
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:48 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:36 AM
You say not but all of us go through the same rigmarole.

This sounds like the justification to keep hazing traditions at schools. "Everyone here went through this hazing ritual so it is wrong of you to want to not have to be hazed."

Just because this is historically the way things have been done does not make it right or best.

As a geek, I want my systems to work as efficiently as possible, and the "find a job" system as at least I have experienced it does not work this way at all.
Post #1510282
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:02 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

krowley (10/31/2013)
You say not but all of us go through the same rigmarole.

This sounds like the justification to keep hazing traditions at schools. "Everyone here went through this hazing ritual so it is wrong of you to want to not have to be hazed."

Just because this is historically the way things have been done does not make it right or best.

As a geek, I want my systems to work as efficiently as possible, and the "find a job" system as at least I have experienced it does not work this way at all.

I think that you are being a little disingenuous here. An interview is what you make of it. If you feel that the interviewers are not suitable in their behaviour then walk in the comfort that they are extremely unlikely to be a good fit as colleagues in that company's environment. If it is like hazing then run. Perhaps it is uncomfortable because you are not a suitable fit for the given role.

Alternatives have been tried and some interview practices have changed accordingly but some very smart people have tried to come up with alternative methods and failed.

Also remember, it is often not the most particularly pleasant role for the interviewer(s) either. Sometimes knowing that can help those being interviewed.

Gaz

Post #1510297
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:14 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
Gary Varga (10/31/2013)
[quote] Also remember, it is often not the most particularly pleasant role for the interviewer(s) either. Sometimes knowing that can help those being interviewed.

Very wise statement here. It is very often uncomfortable being the one doing the interview. Often I have wanted to coach the person and assist them to overcome the fear and confidence problems they have. As one doing the questioning I want them to get it right, and I want their personality to come out. It is hard at times to let them only give what they think should be there, or only what comes to them first. Lastly it is hard to not ask a follow-on question and still be fair to others who have already interviewed or will do so in the process.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1510305
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse