Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Sql Server data replication Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:12 PM
Hi,

We have a database of size around 100GB. We have to replicate this data to a diff company which is in not in our windows domain. We are in central zone they are in pacific zone.
First we need to load all the existing data into their database and then we have to load data either every day once or it could be real time data transfer.

What are the best recommended options?

I am thinking if it's one time a day then log shipping and if it has to be real time data transfer then mirroring. Can we do the real time transfer with transactional replication?

Is it possible to setup replication/Mirroring to a database server which is not in our windows domain?

Thanks.
Post #1508718
Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 6:14 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 5:23 AM
Hi,
i think, you can't use you mirroring, because the mirrored database is read only, depends on the version of SQL.
Post #1508829
Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 12:30 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
Transactional replication will give you near real time updates, but there will be a few seconds delay, depending on how bad the latency is between the two sites. With Mirroring, you will be able to generate snapshots of the secondary database, but that will require an Enterprise Edition license.
Post #1509080
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:22 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 4:49 AM

Is it possible to setup replication/Mirroring to a database server which is not in our windows domain?

Yes but it will be more work to secure.

We have a database of size around 100GB. We have to replicate this data to a diff company which is in not in our windows domain. We are in central zone they are in pacific zone.
First we need to load all the existing data into their database and then we have to load data either every day once or it could be real time data transfer.

What are the best recommended options?

The two realistic options are Replication (Transaction or Merge) or log shipping. Unless you have someone who is good at replication I would go with log shipping.

I am thinking if it's one time a day then log shipping and if it has to be real time data transfer then mirroring. Can we do the real time transfer with transactional replication?

I don't think mirroring is a viable option. Replication will get you as close to real-time as possible but will require more effort than log shipping. Setting up, maintaining, documenting and troubleshooting replication between two time zones (something I have done in the past) can get complicated; especially between dissimilar AD domains.

My recommendation is to push back against real-time data if possible and setup log shipping; weigh the benefits of the real-time data vs the cost to set it up.
If it absolutely must be real-time, however, then replication is the way to go.

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)
My blog
Post #1509489
Posted Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:13 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 5:34 PM
SPAM reported.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1512978
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse