Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Recharge and Relax Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 23, 2013 7:13 AM
Knowledge workers have no reason to unionize. We can cut far better deals with management on our own than collectively.
Post #1507688
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:14 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Employees are given vacation for extremely good reasons. Good managers will ensure that work is organized so that vacation can be taken and will insist that everyone take their share.

Managers who do not take vacation set an ugly example and contribute substantially to low morale.

Sorry about your friends, Steve. You are right, life truly is short.
Post #1507689
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:14 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
Steve,

I am sorry for your loss. Anytime someone passes away, their friends and family are left with trying to cope with the loss. It is especially difficult for younger people, and anyone who dies before age 50, even 60, is young!

Sometimes you write about how we need to spend more time learning to benefit our career options. This article points out another view. I agree that both views are important, but especially given the economy today, many people are working much longer hours, being denied time off, and don't have sufficient time to spend with their families. Adding more education, especially unpaid, isn't always the best option. This article points out why the alternative of taking time off and spending it with your family is more important.

Life is too short. We tend not to realize that until it is too late. While I wish you had not experienced any loss at all, I reaalize we all do eventually.

Dave
Post #1507690
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:26 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:12 AM
GeorgeCopeland (10/23/2013)
Knowledge workers have no reason to unionize. We can cut far better deals with management on our own than collectively.

I disagree. Just because you are a good programmer, developer, DBA, or whatever, doesn't mean you are a good negotiator. I'm happy you are a good negotiator but there is power in numbers.
Post #1507694
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Ian Massi (10/23/2013)
I've heard that in some places it's mandatory to take at least a week at a time at least once a year in order to make sure that you haven't become mission critical.

That sounds like a brilliant policy. I take it a step further. Every job that I have had, I have tried to eliminate it - improve processes and documentation so that my job becomes unnecessary. Everytime I am successful at this, they just give me more to do.
Post #1507695
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I disagree. Just because you are a good programmer, developer, DBA, or whatever, doesn't mean you are a good negotiator. I'm happy you are a good negotiator but there is power in numbers.

When a knowledge worker walks out the door, his work tools go with him. Auto workers don't have that advantage. You don't have to be much of a negotiator to take advantage of this fact.
Post #1507696
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:32 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:26 AM

When a knowledge worker walks out the door, his work tools go with him. Auto workers don't have that advantage. You don't have to be much of a negotiator to take advantage of this fact.

His knowledge might go with him, but all the places I've work have a rule in place that code developed for the company stays with the company. If you were good at your job and automated things, they will stay automated when you leave. No one else may know how to troubleshoot the processes or problems, but that's another issue.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
Post #1507701
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:36 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:29 AM
I am pretty happy with my current employer, we have 15 PTO + 7 sick days. If we don't take sick time, it builds up to extended sick time, so if you have a surgery or some emergency, you don't lose your vacation for an illness.

In creative positions, and yes, I do think DBA's and developers are included as we have to think creatively, not just be drones, we need our downtime to recharge and come up with new ideas. I've gotten some of my best ideas when I was out sailing on the boat, far away from anything electrically powered.
Post #1507703
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:43 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:12 AM
LightVader (10/23/2013)

His knowledge might go with him, but all the places I've work have a rule in place that code developed for the company stays with the company. If you were good at your job and automated things, they will stay automated when you leave. No one else may know how to troubleshoot the processes or problems, but that's another issue.

Exactly!!! Well said.

If I'm maintaining/writing SQL, or whatever, most of the day, I'm sure there are thousands of people that could replace me today. Yes my knowledge of the company and our systems may leave but everything would keep going on without me. Now if I joined up with my entire team and we all demanded another week of vacation, or whatever it be, they would have to take it seriously.
Post #1507707
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:43 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:20 AM
Ian Massi (10/23/2013)
I've heard that in some places it's mandatory to take at least a week at a time at least once a year in order to make sure that you haven't become mission critical.

That sounds like a brilliant policy. I take it a step further. Every job that I have had, I have tried to eliminate it - improve processes and documentation so that my job becomes unnecessary. Everytime I am successful at this, they just give me more to do.

Seen this time and time again (not just for myself). If only people would learn this!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507709
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse